In the two years that have passed since the Ethereum Blockchain’s genesis block, numerous decentralized applications (dApps) have created Ethereum smart contracts for peer-to-peer exchange. With hundreds of tokens and services on the Blockchain, the need for an open protocol to enable liquid exchange is as critical as Internet vendors accepting credit cards. 0x will facilitate a healthy and interoperable marketplace with trustless, low friction exchange of Ethereum-based assets.
Today, rapid iteration and a lack of best practices have left the Blockchain scattered with proprietary and application-specific implementations. As a result, end users are exposed to numerous smart contracts of varying quality and security, with unique configuration processes and learning curves, all of which implement the same functionality. This approach imposes unnecessary costs on the network by fragmenting end users according to the particular dApp each user happens to be using, destroying valuable network effects around liquidity. 0x believes that smart contracts should act as modular, unopinionated building blocks that may be assembled and reconfigured.
0x is decentralized and trustless; there is no central party which can be hacked, run away with customer funds or be subjected to government regulations. Hacks of Mt. Gox, Shapeshift and Bitfinex have demonstrated that these types of systemic risks are palpable.
0x supports all Ethereum-based assets that adhere to the ERC20 token standard. Among 0x’s first partners to are Augur, MelonPort, Maker, and Aragon. 0x doesn’t just enable Interoperability between dApps, but makes the smart contract process easier and faster. Just as the growing API-economy enables the ability to order a Lyft from Facebook Messenger, a Melonport user could enter a prediction on Augur directly from the Melonport app.
0x is built on the belief that, by 2020, thousands of assets will be tokenized and moved onto the Ethereum Blockchain including traditional securities such as equities, bonds and derivatives, fiat currencies and scarce digital goods such as video game items. With hundreds or thousands of tokens on Ethereum, the 0x protocol also addresses the burden around dApp developers holding many tokens through a process called “token abstraction.” Token abstraction on 0x allows dApps to obfuscate smart contract interactions with application-specific tokens so that end users appear to only be paying transaction fees denominated in ETH (or even local fiat currency, assuming there are fiat-pegged tokens on the Ethereum Blockchain). Token abstraction works by chaining multiple orders together and executing them sequentially and synchronously in a single transaction.
Along with Polychain Capital, Blockchain Capital, and Pantera Capital, Chinese investment firms Jen Advisors and FBG Capital also invested in 0x.
- Genetics Prof. David Haymer Joins DNAtix Advisory Board - November 12, 2018
- Libra Announces Commitment to Support Circle Trade’s Financial Reporting Requirements - November 10, 2018
- Evident Proof, Leading Blockchain Immutable Proof Platform Accept Dash & XRP As Business Adoption Soars - November 10, 2018
- Ethereum Now On Hyperledger Fabric - October 28, 2018
- 8000+ Expected – Blockchain Expo North America Exhibition Announces Expert Speakers - October 26, 2018
- Enjin Smart Wallet Update Will Allow Users To Melt & Send ERC-1155 Tokens - October 26, 2018
- Crypto-Friendly Gallery HOFA Launches in Los Angeles With Qvantum Exhibition - October 26, 2018
- Blockchain Company WePower Announces Plans to Tokenize Estonian Power Grid - October 25, 2018
- Overstock’s Medici Ventures, Buys into Crypto Social Network, Minds - October 24, 2018
- Xfinite to release new Blockchain content platform - October 24, 2018
- Omnitude set to transform enterprise business with the move of its ECOM token to Stellar and the introduction of micropayments to users - October 24, 2018
- Nem, Proximax, And Pundi X Join Growing List Of Sportsfix Sponsor Partners - October 23, 2018
- NEM Foundation’s Founder Lon Wong Becomes SportsFix Chief Technology Advisor - October 10, 2018
- Medici Ventures Backs Wine Blockchain Project VinX - October 4, 2018
- Lithuanian Members of European Parliament Say Blockchain is Here to Stay – Hands Off Regulation! - October 4, 2018
- New Open Source Blockchain Project To Challenge Experian And Equifax - October 2, 2018
- IOHK Launches Cardano Rust Project - October 2, 2018
- Hyperledger and Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Cut Deal to Advance the Global Blockchain Business Ecosystem - October 2, 2018
- Binance Labs Supports Decentralized Global Content Ecosystem Contentos - October 2, 2018
- Nexus Partners with Jeff Garzik’s SpaceChain – Planning Spacenet - September 27, 2018