DFINITY Stiftung, the not-for-profit organization dedicated to the research and development of “DFINITY” blockchain technologies, announced its formal intent to create an open network that serves as a massive virtual mainframe computer in cyberspace that might play the role of a new kind of decentralized cloud. DFINITY will launch a multi-thousand node demonstration network in Fall 2017 that showcases some of its new technology in action.
This open network will enable the fabric of the Internet to play the role of cloud provider using novel blockchain computer technology that makes powerful and highly disruptive applications possible. For example, DFINITY will unleash the power of supply chain transactions, Internet of Things, financial markets & exchanges, charities, and intellectual property management, to name a few, on an unbounded, open and secure platform. With its dramatically increased performance and unbounded capacity relative to today’s blockchain networks, DFINITY has the potential to power even traditional enterprise IT systems.
One aim of the new network is to slash enterprise IT costs by reducing the human capital involved in supporting the development, maintenance and administration of traditional enterprise IT systems. These enterprise systems, being colocated on the same super massive virtual computer, will also be able to interoperate and incorporate the functionality provided by other services with ease. DFINITY will also enable the development of a new kind of “open source business” involving autonomous software that is updated via inbuilt governance systems and fulfill roles today performed by companies such as eBay or Uber.
The DFINITY network incorporates an algorithmic governance system that allows it to be fully adaptive with respect to economics, upgrades and other requirements, and manage the open environment it creates to ensure it is hospitable for corporate and mainstream applications.
Says Dominic Williams, President and Chief Scientist:
“…the quality of our rapidly expanding team is unparalleled within the industry and composed of real superstars. We are building a NASA for decentralization with research centers in Silicon Valley and Switzerland that will rapidly advance the new Internet 3.0 paradigm.”
- eToro Acquires Smart Contract Infrastructure Provider Firmo - March 25, 2019
- UPS to work with Blockchain Company Inxeption - March 25, 2019
- Kik’s Kin Cuts Deal with MadLipz and its 40m Short Form Video Creators - March 21, 2019
- Former Prime Minister of Denmark Joins Blockchain Identity Project Concordium as Strategic Advisor - March 20, 2019
- US National Pork Board and RIPE.IO Partner to Improve Sustainability, Quality, Traceability, Waste and Fraud in the Industry - March 20, 2019
- Sumner Global Launches $100M Securitized Token Offering (STO) in Middle East - March 20, 2019
- Editorial: The Rumours of ICOs’ Death Have Been Greatly Exaggerated - March 18, 2019
- French NCC Deploy IBM Blockchain For Commercial and Corporate Registries - March 15, 2019
- Bcause, To Launch Full-stack Cryptocurrency Ecosystem On Nasdaq - March 13, 2019
- SEC – Ethereum is Not a Security - March 13, 2019
- US Treasury Sanctions One of Russia’s Biggest Commercial Banks Over Backing of Venezuela’s Cryptocurrency, Petro - March 13, 2019
- Fetch.AI Solves ‘Blockchain Trilemma’ with Novel Approach to Reaching Consensus - March 13, 2019
- Boerse Stuttgart Group Cut Deal with solarisBank to Develop Crypto Trading Platform - March 12, 2019
- ECCU Plans to Issue World’s First Blockchain-Based Central Bank Digital Currency in the Caribbean - March 12, 2019
- Blockchain Video Company Linius Connects Prototype to Blockchain-Centric Video Player - March 12, 2019
- Emaar, One of the World’s Largest Property Companies, Plans Loyalty and Referral Token - March 11, 2019
- European Commission Offering 32 Blockchain Startups €200.000 Equity-Free Cash for Citizen Data Control Decentralised Solutions - March 11, 2019
- One of World’s Largest Asset Managers ($2.46 trillion) Fidelity, Launches Bitcoin Service - March 11, 2019
- eToro Officially Launches Crypto Trading Platform & Wallet in the U.S. - March 7, 2019
- Smilo Platform Launches Mainnet – Decentralized, GDPR compliant, Hybrid, Multipurpose - March 7, 2019