Pantera Capital, a leading Blockchain investment firm and one of the largest institutional owners of bitcoins, will make a significant investment next week in the token crowdsale of Maecenas, a decentralized art gallery democratizing access to fine art. Pantera Capital, which has launched a $100 million hedge fund for cryptoasset tokens, is actively partnering with Maecenas in creating a marketplace for famous artworks.
The Maecenas public token crowdsale will start on September 7, 2017 at 5pm CES. It will offer ART tokens that allow users to auction masterpieces from the likes of Picasso and Goya on its Blockchain-powered platform. Maecenas is also among the first projects to pass through Cofound.it, the leading platform for training the world’s most promising Blockchain startups. Maecenas will leverage Cofound.it Priority Pass to host a token pre-sale commencing September 5, 2017 at 5pm CEST. The minimum sale threshold is $3 million USD, with a milestone target of $10 million USD, and a $20 million USD hard cap.
Maecenas injects liquidity and transparency into a $65 billion annual fine art industry currently dominated by exclusive auction houses and private dealers. Museums, galleries, and collectors sell masterpieces directly to the Maecenas community without paying traditional transaction fees of up to 30 percent.
“Tokenizing existing asset classes that are currently illiquid is a great application of Blockchain tech,” Joey Krug, Pantera’s co-chief investment officer, said. “The art market is a perfect one to tackle first because it has extremely high fees on both sides (approaching 50% of the artwork if you combine them), very little liquidity, high barriers to entry, and less implementation issues than say tokenizing real estate.”
“I’m also excited about the idea of art as a new asset class in general, and think Maecenas can help democratize access to it. We’re excited to play an active role as a partner of Maecenas to help them succeed leveraging our network and experience with Ethereum,” Krug added.
Pantera Capital was formed in 2013, comprising the first U.S.-based bitcoin investment firm. The company has invested in numerous cryptoasset heavyweights, including Blockchain-based remittance service Abra, leading South Korean bitcoin exchange Korbit, and altcoins Ripple and Zcash.
“We are thrilled to have Pantera Capital as investors and partners. Their excellent reputation and vast experience helping Blockchain startups grow, combined with their extensive network worldwide is going to be instrumental in helping Maecenas be successful,” Maecenas CEO Marcelo Garcia Casil said. “We are delighted to have the support of Pantera Capital’s team and we very much look forward to the exciting journey ahead of us.”
Maecenas’s ART utility token functions as a clearing and settlement mechanism for all transactions of artwork on the Maecenas ecosystem. Blockchain technology is used to break down a single piece into many fragments and create tamper-proof digital certificates denoting ownership. Supporters will be able to use ART tokens in auctions to bid for these certificates.
Maecenas has studied global financial jurisdictions, built a minimal viable product, and lined up masterpieces to be offered on the platform. Maecenas will dedicate up to $10 million USD towards operational costs to launch its platform and open in markets around the world. Contributions beyond the $10 million will be dedicated to to art financing to stimulate activity on the platform.
Supporters can participate in the Maecenas crowdsale with Ethereum (ETH).
- U.S. Lawmakers Pondering “Crypto-Currency Act of 2020” - January 17, 2020
- New Blockchain-based Visa Token Service Set To Launch in 2020 – Set to Reach $1 Trillion - January 17, 2020
- Germany’s New Shore Invest Launches STO Ship Financing Platform – Tokenised Fractional Ownership - January 16, 2020
- Open Source Luminary Marc Fleury Enters Crypto Arena with Announcement of New Crypto Asset Class and Continuous Token Offering Sale - January 16, 2020
- UN Warns Public Not To Attend North Korea Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Conference 2020 - January 16, 2020
- Fiat-to-Crypto Gateway Solution, Banxa, Raises $2 Million USD Series A Round Led By NGC Ventures - January 15, 2020
- United Africa Blockchain Association Plans to Fire Up Blockchain Adoption - January 14, 2020
- Thai Actor and Victim’s Bitcoin Buddy Implicated in Kidnapping and Ransom of Singaporean National in Thailand - January 14, 2020
- Securitize Runs First-Ever IRA Investment In Digital Securities - January 14, 2020
- NBA Star Spencer Dinwiddie “Tokenizing” His Contract With or Without NBA Green Light - January 13, 2020
- European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde Says ECB Bullish on Digital Currencies - January 13, 2020
- Canadian Crypto Company Voyager Digital Completes Acquisition of US Registered Broker-Dealer - January 13, 2020
- Cogito, Hong Kong-Based Entertainment Studio, Launches Decentralised Autonomous Virtual Horse Racing Game - January 9, 2020
- Blockchain Bandwagon Company Longfin CEO Settles with US SEC for $400,000 - January 7, 2020
- Winklevoss Brothers Invest in $5 million Seed Round for TaxBit - January 7, 2020
- Securrency Secures $17.65 million in Series A funding round Led by WisdomTree - January 7, 2020
- Measure Protocol Backed with £2m in New Funding for Blockchain-Powered Person-Based Data Marketplace - January 7, 2020
- The Next Wave of Crypto – Traction is Key – And Mobile Mining is Gaining Massive Adoption - January 2, 2020
- Google Reverses Metamask Ban from Playstore - January 1, 2020
- Bankex Launches Token Exchange Engine in Telegram - December 31, 2019