Tether Limited, the leading provider of tokenized traditional government-backed currencies, today announced in partnership with Ethfinex the launch of Tether ERC20 tokens on the Ethereum Blockchain, enabling tokenized US dollars to be exchanged on the Ethereum network for the first time.
Launched in 2014, Tether claims to be the first Blockchain-enabled platform to allow traditional currencies to be tokenized, allowing users to transact with fiat currencies across the exchange without the relative volatility associated with digital currencies.
Craig Sellars, Co-founder of Tether, said:
“Following the success of our widely used US Dollar tokenisation on the Bitcoin Blockchain, this latest version enables interoperability with Ethereum-based protocols and DApps. We believe this new development will reduce the current interbank delays often involved in exchange withdrawal and allow our users access to tokenized USD – a first for the industry.”
Partnering with Tether by creating the smart contracts is Ethfinex, the leading trading and information hub for projects on the Ethereum Blockchain, set to offer access to a highly liquid and advanced trading platform for ERC20 tokens.
“The number of tokens and assets being tokenized on top of the Ethereum platform is growing rapidly, with many proving disruptive to traditional business models. By enabling all ERC20 compatible applications and protocols to integrate tokenized USD, we expect to see enhanced efficiency and further stability on the Ethereum network,” said Will Harborne, Project Lead at Ethfinex.
Tether users deposit US dollars, and soon Euros, Japanese Yen and other fiat currencies which are converted into a 1-to-1 backed digital currency called tether ₮. Each Tether then carries a name and symbol of the underlying asset it represents, and is transferable and tradeable as a standard ERC20 token.
Integrating with Tether as a compatible application is TokenCard, a smart-contract powered debit card and Ethereum gateway founded in 2016. Upon launch of their card, TokenCard will accept the Tether ERC20, enabling their users to use tokenized fiat currencies for everyday transactions.
TokenCard Co-founder Mel Gelderman said:
“The launch of Tether fiat tokens on the Ethereum network is a huge step towards mass consumer adoption. This blurs the boundaries of what is considered a Blockchain asset versus a ‘regular’ asset and will enable people to own the fiat currencies most familiar to them but in a tradeable digital form. This will make it much easier for the majority to use Ethereum powered platforms, like TokenCard. The option of choosing TokenCard over traditional banks becomes even easier if a national currency can be held in token form. The strength and versatility of the Ethereum Blockchain enables a safe and secure means of transferring funds anywhere in the world without needing to use a bank of any kind.”
“We believe this development will not only open up the world of cryptocurrencies to more mainstream consumers, but also set the standard, and encourage other companies to be more innovative and accessible in their product and service offering at this pivotal time for money and payments,” concluded Sellars.
Tether Limited holds 1:1 reserves for all Tether generated in its contract where each tether is backed by its corresponding currency on deposit. A total list of balances issued to all Tether can be viewed, verified and checked against the on-chain deployments of Tether contracts by any interested party. Tether will be fully transparent and audited to demonstrate 100 percent reserves at all times, and these reports will be published and communicated on the Tether website.
For more information, visit www.tether.to or to view the full contract security review, visit https://stableset.com/audits/tether_audit_v1/tether_audit_v1.pdf
- Blockchain Project Cashaa Protecting Crypto Companies to Survive Fifth Money Laundering Directive and New FCA Rules in 2020 - February 8, 2020
- US SEC Boss Hester Peirce Suggests Three Year “Safe Harbour Period” For Token Sales - February 6, 2020
- China’s Hyperchain Plans to Take on Coronavirus With Blockchain-Fueled Donation Platform - February 6, 2020
- Blockstack Proposes Using Bitcoin, Novel ‘Proof of Transfer’ To Accelerate A Truly User-Owned Web 3.0 - February 6, 2020
- Hack Blockchain To The MAX! €15.000 Prizepool at MAXathon in Berlin April 18-19, 2020 - February 6, 2020
- Chiliz And Enjin To Launch Blockchain Collectibles Using NFTs For The Likes of Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, Atlético de Madrid and West Ham - February 6, 2020
- MIT Researchers Claim to Boost Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Blockchain Transactions By 4x with New ‘Spider’ Routing Scheme - February 4, 2020
- Canada’s Blockchain Intelligence Group Signs USD$540,000 Contract with United States Feds - February 4, 2020
- The United States Marshals Services to Auction 4,040.54069820 Bitcoin – USD$37 Million - February 4, 2020
- OpenLegacy Project Gets $20m Strategic Investment from Japan’s SBI Holdings – Focus on Blockchain - February 4, 2020
- Fastest Growing and Highest Revenue Mobile Messenger App in the World, Japan’s LINE to Launch LINK Cryptocurrency - February 3, 2020
- Insolar to Launch MainNet on February 3, 2020 – Debuts Insolar’s New XNS Token - February 3, 2020
- Blockchain-Based Social Media App Vid with VI Tokens – To Launch April 1, 2020 – After VC $10 million USD Investment in 2019 - February 3, 2020
- UK FCA Licenses BCB Group as First Crypto Company to be Regulated as Authorised Payment Institution - January 31, 2020
- Virgil Griffith Pleads Innocent in Blockchain North Korea Event Case – Faces Up To 20 Years in Prison if Convicted - January 31, 2020
- University College London Centre for Blockchain Technologies Releases New Report on Supply Chains - January 31, 2020
- World’s Leading Research and Advisory Company Gartner Says Blockchain Smart Contracts Can Increase Corporate Overall Data Quality by 50 Percent - January 31, 2020
- Dubai Wants to Clone Crypto Valley in the Desert - January 29, 2020
- The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) to Launch Blockchain-Based, Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) - January 29, 2020
- Swiss company Overfuture To Offer Tokenised Equity Crowdfunding (Security Token Offering) - January 29, 2020