Sun Exchange, a peer-to-peer solar equipment leasing marketplace has raised $1.6 million in seed financing from several strategic partners to accelerate global access to solar power. Partners include Network Society Ventures (New York City), Kalon Venture Partners (Johannesburg, South Africa) and three of the world’s leading technology accelerators, BoostVC (San Francisco Bay Area), Techstars (Boulder, Colorado) and Powerhouse (Oakland, California). This will boost Sun Exchange’s capacity to meet the demand for its pipeline of commercial-scale solar power projects, located in the sunniest regions of the planet.
“Solar power is the most promising technology to achieve a zero-carbon future,” said serial solar energy entrepreneur, Abraham Cambridge, CEO of Sun Exchange. “It’s the fastest growing source of energy, but billions of people don’t own their own roof or have the capital to get it. By breaking down solar panel ownership to a single cell we reduce the cost of going solar by two orders of magnitude and we’re utilizing empty roof space in some of the sunniest cities on the planet, such as Dubai and Johannesburg. To super-charge the process we’ve combined our solar leases with another breakthrough technology – Blockchain, namely Bitcoin. Putting the two together empowers anyone to go solar and be part of the global solar energy transformation with just a few taps on a screen.”
Sun Exchange is the first marketplace of its kind and leverages Blockchain technology to allow individuals to purchase solar cells in solar projects which are mostly situated in emerging markets that are solar-rich but power-poor. This makes solar panel ownership accessible to retail and institutional investors, worldwide, while giving businesses and communities in emerging markets access to fully-funded solar power plants to reduce running costs and drive sustainable development.
Sun Exchange has been leading in the African energy market since 2014, and has expanded globally with a United States headquarters in California and a regional operating office in Dubai.
Using its Blockchain-based platform, Sun Exchange democratizes the green economy by giving retail customers around the world the chance to lease solar cells bought on their platform to medium to large solar installations in emerging markets. Solar panels are sold by the single solar cell, reducing the cost of solar plant ownership to below $10.
“At the intersection of the exponentially growing technologies of solar photovoltaics, crowdfunding and Blockchain, Sun Exchange is uniquely positioned to become a leading force in the profound transformation that we will witness as we build a global 21st century civilization” added David Orban, Founder and Managing Partner of Network Society Ventures, and member of the Board of Directors of Sun Exchange.
Sun Exchange leverages Blockchain and Bitcoin to increase transparency and reduce the costs of the cross-border transactions, both problems that inhibit the majority of commercial solar projects from accessing traditional funding options. By presenting a simple and accessible opportunity for anyone to join the solar economy, Sun Exchange unlocks the potential for the construction of environmentally sound and socially responsible projects that would otherwise not see the light of day.
- US FDA Looks to Blockchain Technology to Secure Drug Supply Chain - February 15, 2019
- Nexo Lending to Offer Crypto-Backed Loans with Blockport Exchange - February 12, 2019
- Chainalysis Secures $30M Investment Led by Accel to Pave Way for Next Wave of Cryptocurrency Growth - February 12, 2019
- EUIPO Launches Forum on Using Blockchain for Counterfeiting - February 12, 2019
- Singapore’s NodeSwap Teams up with NY’s NODE40 - February 12, 2019
- New Release: Oracle Adds New Features to their Enterprise Blockchain - February 12, 2019
- Fetch.AI joins the IoT Alliance With Bosch, Cisco and Others to Accelerate IoT - February 7, 2019
- Dr. Bernard Lietaer – Monetary Visionary, Futurist, Author, RIP - February 5, 2019
- Fetch.AI To Launch Token Sale on Binance Launchpad to Build Intelligent Machine-to-Machine Economy - February 1, 2019
- Philippines Introduces New Rules for ICOs, STOs and Cryptocurrencies - January 31, 2019
- Evernym Cuts Deal with Red Cross and other Nonprofits Who Will Work with their Self-Sovereign Digital ID Solution - January 30, 2019
- Evident Proof Receives ‘Highly Commended’ Listing at the UK Innovation and Entrepreneurship Award Category at the 2018 UK IT Industry Awards - January 30, 2019
- Plato Technologies and Blackmoon Team Up to Expedite Launching of New ‘On-the-fly’ ETx’s - January 30, 2019
- Amnis Ventures backs CloseCross Raises $3 Million USD to Transform Financial Derivatives Market - January 30, 2019
- Distilled Identity and Emerge Announce Technology Partnership to Solve Global Identity Crisis for Refugees - January 22, 2019
- Satellite Project SpaceChain Concludes the First Qtum Blockchain Transaction in Space - January 22, 2019
- AAX Digital Asset Exchange to be Powered by London Stock Exchange Group Technology - January 22, 2019
- Amsterdam’s Blockport Launches Full Featured Trading Platform - January 22, 2019
- Swarm Offers Free Issuance of Security Tokens - January 21, 2019
- London’s Blockchain Conference; Blockchain Expo Global Exhibition announces expert speakers - January 21, 2019