Etherisc, a decentralized insurance platform startup, has today announced the launch of blockchain-enabled flight delay insurance for visitors traveling to the major Ethereum conference Devcon3. The insurance, underwritten by Atlas Insurance PCC Limited, will automatically reimburse travelers via smart contract when flights fall behind schedule. Exclusively offered to Devon3 attendees, travelers to Cancun will have the opportunity to become one of the first individuals ever to be covered by a licensed insurance company on the blockchain.
Etherisc Co-Founder and CEO Stephan Karpischek said:
“The frustration of a flight delay or cancellation is a familiar feeling for many travelers. Dealing with traditional insurance after the fact often adds to the stress of interrupted travel plans. Etherisc is delighted to offer a decentralized insurance to the Ethereum community. We can think of no better audience for this innovation that addresses the common hassles previously accepted as a normal part of the traveling experience.”
Michael Gatt, CEO at Atlas Insurance PCC, said:
“With its experience both as insurer and protected cell platform, Atlas provides insurtech startups with regulatory expertise, infrastructure and economies of scale only usually found in well-developed incumbent insurers. Etherisc brings a new, fresh approach to risk transfer with real-time risk pool controls, pricing and parametrization of claims. We are looking forward to market testing this new blockchain-enabled product.”
Policies will be facilitated by an Ethereum smart contract, allowing travelers to share the risk of a delayed or canceled flight with fellow travelers. Passengers can choose their preferred premium, view their estimated payout, and make their purchase in ETH or major fiat currencies – USD, EUR, and GBP.
Unlike traditional insurance products, not only does Etherisc Flight Delay store insurance contract data on Ethereum blockchain, it acts as an autonomous risk bearing mechanism, risk pricing engine, claim administrator and a payment system.
Devcon3, the key developers conference in the Ethereum community, will be held in Cancun, Mexico from 1 to 4 November. The conference will almost double in size this year, and host the world’s leading blockchain experts, emerging industry trailblazers, and aspiring developers.
Devcon3 attendees can purchase Etherisc Flight Delay insurance up to 24 hours before their flight, and payouts are issued automatically to their Ethereum address or credit card, eliminating the need for travelers to deal with time-consuming traditional insurance claim processes.
“Etherisc’s flight delay insurance is a prime example of how blockchain technology can disrupt traditional industries and challenge established players. We believe that decentralized insurance, which offers policyholders unprecedented transparency, efficiency, and fairness, represents the future of the industry,” said Karpischek.
Etherisc is a selected upcoming project of Cofound.it, the leading platform for training the world’s most promising blockchain startups.
- Graph Blockchain Implements IoT Sensors for the Agriculture and Cannabis Sector - April 23, 2019
- Blocknet Release Beta Version of Multi-Blockchain Router – XRouter - April 23, 2019
- Alt Thirty Six Raises $10 Million In Series A Funding For Cannabis Blockchain Payment Solution - April 23, 2019
- Nine Major Universities to Build Blockchain Solution for Digital Academic Credentials - April 23, 2019
- Blockmason to Launch Blockmason Credit Protocol Token (BCPT) on Binance Chain - April 23, 2019
- Vinny Lingham’s Blockchain Startup Civic Cuts New Deals with a Dozen Retail Partners - April 23, 2019
- 220 Partners at JPMorgan’s Blockchain Project – New Features - April 23, 2019
- SIM Card Swapper: 21-Year-Old Cryptocurrency Thief Gets 10 Years in US Prison - April 23, 2019
- Indian Central Bankers Excludes Cryptocurrency Projects from it’s New Startup Fintech Sandbox - April 19, 2019
- Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Plans to Launch New Token Taxonomy Initiative - April 19, 2019
- Social Blockchain Project BitGive Signs Deal with Uphold - April 19, 2019
- Crypto Wars Continue – Bitcoin’s Self Proclaimed Founder Craig Wright Threatens to Sue Ethereum’s Vitalik Buterin - April 19, 2019
- Gate.io Exchange Releases IEO Startup Platform and Launches First Project with CNNS - April 18, 2019
- Telegram Cuts Deal With Wirecard to Build Blockchain Shared Payment and Banking Solutions For TON - April 17, 2019
- Token-as-a-Service (TaaS) Shuts Down – Distributes Assets to Token Owners - April 17, 2019
- eToroX Launches 8 Stablecoins on New Cryptocurrency Exchange - April 17, 2019
- Powerhouse Production Company Endemol Shine International Partners with Blockchain Startup BitMovio - April 17, 2019
- Huobi Prime’s Second EO Launch – Two Billion NEW Tokens Sold in Six Seconds - April 17, 2019
- Panxora safeguards ICO assets with crypto treasury management service - April 17, 2019
- Turing Award Winner and MIT Cryptographer, Dr. Silvio Micali, Publicly Opens TestNet at VC-backed Algorand Blockchain - April 16, 2019