Steve Chen, founder of EchoLink, a credentials-verification Blockchain project, has been appointed industry co-lead of the new Berkeley Blockchain Lab, a platform for students to gain real-world experience working with Blockchain technology. Chen came up with the idea behind EchoLink while serving as the founding engineering director at a NYSE mobile technology company, where he saw the opportunity to create efficiency and value by storing data around engineering graduates’ degrees on the Blockchain. As he embarks on helping to lead the Berkeley Blockchain Lab, Chen will draw upon his experience in both enterprise technology and entrepreneurship.
The Berkeley Blockchain Lab is run by the Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology (SCET), and will give Berkeley students one unit for participating in the EchoLink project through The Berkeley Blockchain Lab toward the five required to earn a Certificate in Entrepreneurship & Technology. The SCET has helped create the foundation of Berkeley’s entrepreneurship ecosystem by launching institutions and programs such as SkyDeck, the Fung Institute for Engineering Leadership, the Engineering Leadership Professional Program, Global Venture Lab, and cultivating an extensive network of Silicon Valley and global partners.
The focus of the first Berkeley Blockchain Lab project will be on off-chain data inputs, distributed storage, and web-based Blockchain query systems. App development will be evaluated with the objective of minimizing the cost of running decentralized applications (Dapp). A secondary objective will be developing a Dapp that can process data in batches. The application focus will be bringing trust-based credentials from off chain including degree certificates onto various Blockchains
EchoLink in partnership with the Berkeley Blockchain Lab has ambitious goals. EchoLink seeks to create its own utility token, the EchoLink token (EKO), which will be an exchange medium within the EchoLink system to pay fees between users and other participants in the system. The data providers (schools and individual students) from public Blockchains, alliance Blockchains, and even private Blockchains will be easily rewarded with EchoLink tokens and the EchoLink token will be used to establish an international education reputation and skill level marketplace.
With the EchoLink token as a common method of value exchange in the system, EchoLink seeks to provide a common measure of the quality of education in different countries, institutions, and disciplines that can be measured in a consistent way.
To get involved in the Berkeley Blockchain Lab or to get involved as an educational institution seeking to pilot the EchoLink technology, please reach out to Steven Chen at [email protected]
More about UC Berkeley:
UC Berkeley’s initial 2-credit “DeCal” Blockchain course was supported by the Blockchain at Berkeley student organization which has 567 members in its closed Facebook group and also has Meetup and Slack channels that are extremely active. Collin Chin, UC Berkeley ’19 a current electrical engineering and computer sciences junior, was able to secure an internship at leading Blockchain startup Consensys as a software engineering intern the summer of 2017 after getting his first taste of developing use cases for Blockchain as a developer at Blockchain at Berkeley in the Fall of 2016.
Collin now serves on the Executive Board at Blockchain at Berkeley and handles recruiting of members and execution of events. Max Fang, President at Blockchain at Berkeley, also involved with the DeCal course, also spent his previous summer as a Developer Advocate Intern at Lightning Labs in SF and is a double major in computer science and economics.
UC Berkeley has been experimenting with programming around Blockchain for the past few years, with one of its initial tests around demand for Blockchain related programming coming through the Blockchain Technology Collider in March 2016 which was launched to give undergraduate and graduate students the opportunity to explore emerging opportunities at the intersection of finance, security and cryptography and have a chance to win $5,000. The event brought together those in engineering, finance, economics, mathematics, across the Berkeley campus. With the success of the Collider, Berkeley set out to launch a new venture called the Berkeley Blockchain Lab, and Chen at the EchoLink project was appointed the industry co-lead. The Berkeley Blockchain Lab will allow students to work on real-world Blockchain applications using EchoLink’s open source API.
UC Berkeley is an ideal first pilot educational institution because of its active student Blockchain enthusiast community. The student leaders of Blockchain at Berkeley come from diverse professional experiences including serving as analysts of investment banks and software engineers at local tech startups.
There are more than twenty Nobel Memorial Prize Laureates in Economics affiliated with UC Berkeley. With Berkeley’s reputation for strong economics and computer science programs, combined with its culture of student activism forged in the 1960s, the school is well-positioned culturally to take advantage of the focus on decentralization and the elimination of “middlemen” and central authorities that Blockchain startups often promote. Berkeley’s ability to work interdepartmentally and pursue Blockchain from the economics and technical angles proves to be its main competitive advantage.
- UC Berkeley Opens New Blockchain Lab – Steve Chen Appointed to Co-Lead Newly Formed Berkeley Blockchain Lab - December 10, 2017
- Peter Vessenes Announces Deluge Network To Support a Safe and Direct Way to Contribute Bitcoin Directly to ICOs - December 5, 2017
- EXMO Launches Token Sale with Blockstarter’s ICO Solution - December 5, 2017
- AdHive, A Blockchain-Based Native Advertising Platform, Engages with WINGS DAO Platform - December 5, 2017
- Perkins Coie Adds SEC Attorney in San Francisco with Fintech and Blockchain Experience - December 5, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Monero Announces Breakthrough Online Shopping Initiative Featuring Top Global Artists’ Music and Merchandise - December 5, 2017
- Bitcoin for a ‘bit’ of Caribbean paradise - December 5, 2017
- With the Launch of SunCoin, Solar Bankers Takes On the World’s Energy Giants - December 4, 2017
- Blockchain News Is Merging With Token Report - November 30, 2017
- Mira launches Pre-ICO for Mira – an Easy and Convenient Way to Buy, Store and Send Cryptocurrency - November 23, 2017
- Dash and KuvaCash Partner to Fight Inflation in Zimbabwe with Cryptocurrency - November 22, 2017
- INS Ecosystem Partners with Ambrosus to Overhaul the Grocery Supply Chain - November 22, 2017
- Global Debt Registry Unveils Collateral Pledge Blockchain Proof of Concept - November 22, 2017
- Ripple Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to Its Board and Ron Will as CFO - November 22, 2017
- Advised by the Co-Founders of YouTube and Twitch, Theta Announces a Blockchain-based Video Delivery Network - November 22, 2017
- Modex adds top advisor from Google ahead of ICO - November 22, 2017
- Decentralized Ad Exchange AdEx Partners with INK to Handle the World’s First Blockchain-based Ad Auction - November 22, 2017
- Zilliqa Lowers Funding Cap Despite Heavy Demand from Investors - November 22, 2017
- Health Startup Etheal Combines Blockchain Technology with Micro-Incentives to Build a Peer-Reviewed Global List of Health Professionals - November 22, 2017
- Bitquence Rebrands as Ethos.io, Charting a Course to Unlock Crypto and the Future of Investment for the Masses - November 22, 2017
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain - November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading - November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO - November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale - November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration - November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange - November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation - November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated - November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform - November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube - November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s - November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security - November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch - November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project - November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution - November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event - November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering - November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event - November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program - November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain - November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research - November 20, 2017