Halsey Minor, co-founder of Live Planet, CNET, and Salesforce.com announced, last month, the launch of his newest venture: VideoCoin, a network to leverage unused computing power for decentralized video encoding, storage, and distribution. Other high-profile, internet video industry veterans working on the project include Chief Architect of the Intel Video Transcode Service, Devadutta Ghat; two-time Emmy Award winner and Governor of Interactive Media at the Television Academy, Seth Shapiro and SVP of Digital Video Initiatives at Paramount Pictures and Technicolor, Seth Skolnik. The project has USD 25 million in funding committed and the crowdsale will be held in early 2018.
VideoCoin aims to usher in ‘the new cloud’ on a secure, public blockchain, by marshalling low-cost computing resources from around the world to revolutionize video. The video encoding, storage, and content distribution system turns all cloud-based video services into an algorithmic market, running on a new blockchain with a native protocol token, the VideoCoin (VID), says the company’s statement.
VideoCoin says it will seek to address the issues of rising costs, centralization and privacy in the online video marketplace, which makes up over 80 percent of all internet traffic. The VideoCoin blockchain will be designed for fast transactions, with combined Proof of Work and Proof of Stake systems to support complex storage and computation needs, said the company, in a statement. VideoCoin aims to enable a new generation of video applications by developing open APIs and using peer to peer encrypted distribution,
The first application to use VideoCoin’s blockchain enabled video infrastructure will be Live Planet. Founded by Minor, it allows the easy capture and distribution of live VR and 360° video.
“VideoCoin borrows much from what the blockchain has already proven, namely that people will connect computers to a network to get paid to do work, and as demand scales so too does supply,” stated Minor. “VideoCoin creates a new class of miners who do real work, not just accounting. Blockchain is the breakthrough innovation that lets us create a better infrastructure for the future of online video.”
To learn more about VideoCoin, visit www.VideoCoin.io.
- FED Chairman Offers Lukewarm Response On Impact, Utility Of Existing Cryptocurrencies - July 20, 2018
- Boeing Brings In SparkCognition For Help Developing UAV Management Systems - July 19, 2018
- Nervos Network Nets Nearly $30 Million To Build Hybrid Blockchain Platform For Enterprise - July 19, 2018
- Chinese Blockchain Companies Continue To Flourish, If Only In Name - July 18, 2018
- G20 Report Outlines International Collaboration On Standards For Crypto-Assets - July 17, 2018
- Hong Kong Readies Regulator-Backed Trade Finance Platform - July 17, 2018
- RMB to BTC Trading Falls To 1%. Is China Really Out Of The Crypto Game? - July 16, 2018
- Chinese Internet Trends May Spell Trouble For “Disruptive” Crypto Payments - July 13, 2018
- LINE Plans July Cryptocurrency Exchange Launch - July 3, 2018
- McAfee Labs Report 6x Increase in Crypto Mining Malware Incidents in Q1 2018 - June 29, 2018
- Facebook Updates Policy To Allow Vetted Crypto Businesses to Advertise, ICOs Still Banned - June 27, 2018
- Following in Vitalik’s Footsteps? Polkadot’s Habermeier Awarded Thiel Fellowship - June 26, 2018
- SingularityNET and Project Shivom Using AI on Genomic Data to Extend Human Life - June 26, 2018
- Microsoft & EY partner for Royalty Distribution in Gaming - June 26, 2018
- Alibabacoin to Airdrop ABBC Tokens to First 500,000 Wallet Users - June 25, 2018
- Care Records of up to 30 Million UK NHS Patients go on Blockchain - June 25, 2018
- PundiX Signs UTRUST as Liquidity Clearing Provider for Crypto POS Hardware - June 22, 2018
- Blockchain on the Ballot: Indie Party Candidate Joins Texas Senate Race - June 21, 2018
- IONChain Aims to Challenge IOTA on a Chinese Battleground - June 19, 2018
- Takeaways From SEC Director’s Comments on Cryptocurrencies and Securities - June 19, 2018