Wibson, a data marketplace providing financial incentives for individuals to securely sell private information, today launched its blockchain-based product at Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2018, in Barcelona, Spain. The Wibson prototype mobile app will lay the foundation for users to monetize their data by connecting them with direct purchase offers from data buyers such as Facebook . Kenetic Capital, Telefonica and DGG Capital are among Wibson’s investors.
Users who sell data via the Wibson prototype during this preliminary stage will be able to redeem credits for Wibcoins that will power the full marketplace when it launches later this year, stated the company.
Wibson is built on a set of core principles designed to protect individuals, according to the company’s statement. Because the marketplace is inherently transparent, users have complete insight into the intended use of their data, including — if it is anonymized — who the buyer is and the price they will be paid.
“Telefonica is excited to be an early investor in Wibson, a disruptive technology based on the blockchain, which will help people take back control of their personal data,” stated Telefonica Chief Innovation Officer, Gonzalo Martín-Villa.
Managing Partner of Kenetic Capital Jehan Chu said, in a statement, “The Wibson marketplace not only benefits consumers by providing them the ability to control and monetize their personal information, it gives corporate marketers and advertisers access to high quality, verified data and an explicit consumer consent mechanism which will be absolutely critical as new privacy regulations, such as GDPR [General Data Protection Regulation] come into effect in the coming months. Wibson is addressing a huge personal data opportunity with a very intelligent and thoughtful approach.”
Wibson is a project from the team behind Grandata, which states that its mission is to create a trusted universal data platform that maximizes value for both individuals and companies.
To learn more about Wibson and its decentralized consumer data marketplace, visit http://www.wibson.org/.
- FED Chairman Offers Lukewarm Response On Impact, Utility Of Existing Cryptocurrencies - July 20, 2018
- Boeing Brings In SparkCognition For Help Developing UAV Management Systems - July 19, 2018
- Nervos Network Nets Nearly $30 Million To Build Hybrid Blockchain Platform For Enterprise - July 19, 2018
- Chinese Blockchain Companies Continue To Flourish, If Only In Name - July 18, 2018
- G20 Report Outlines International Collaboration On Standards For Crypto-Assets - July 17, 2018
- Hong Kong Readies Regulator-Backed Trade Finance Platform - July 17, 2018
- RMB to BTC Trading Falls To 1%. Is China Really Out Of The Crypto Game? - July 16, 2018
- Chinese Internet Trends May Spell Trouble For “Disruptive” Crypto Payments - July 13, 2018
- LINE Plans July Cryptocurrency Exchange Launch - July 3, 2018
- McAfee Labs Report 6x Increase in Crypto Mining Malware Incidents in Q1 2018 - June 29, 2018
- Facebook Updates Policy To Allow Vetted Crypto Businesses to Advertise, ICOs Still Banned - June 27, 2018
- Following in Vitalik’s Footsteps? Polkadot’s Habermeier Awarded Thiel Fellowship - June 26, 2018
- SingularityNET and Project Shivom Using AI on Genomic Data to Extend Human Life - June 26, 2018
- Microsoft & EY partner for Royalty Distribution in Gaming - June 26, 2018
- ABBC Foundation to Airdrop ABBC Tokens to First 500,000 Wallet Users - June 25, 2018
- Care Records of up to 30 Million UK NHS Patients go on Blockchain - June 25, 2018
- PundiX Signs UTRUST as Liquidity Clearing Provider for Crypto POS Hardware - June 22, 2018
- Blockchain on the Ballot: Indie Party Candidate Joins Texas Senate Race - June 21, 2018
- IONChain Aims to Challenge IOTA on a Chinese Battleground - June 19, 2018
- Takeaways From SEC Director’s Comments on Cryptocurrencies and Securities - June 19, 2018