Cybersecurity firm Sikur has launched a secure, encrypted USD 799 smartphone, that it claims can safely store cryptocurrencies. Unveiled on Wednesday at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, in addition to a 5.5-inch full-HD display and 13-megapixel camera, the SIKURPhone features a built-in cryptocurrency software wallet.
According to an article on Engadget, 20,000 phones are available on presale and will be delivered in August.
Sikur’s CEO, Cristiano Lop outlined plans for the device to CNBC:
“At the end of second quarter of 2018 we will deliver a crypto wallet inside our platform, expanding the wallet use beyond SIKURPhone, it means that our customers should be able, through a physical device, to securely store their cryptocoins.”
In the wake of multiple prominent cryptocurrency hacks, such as this one, reported by internet entrepreneur and investor, Fabrice Grinda, there’s no lack of interest among crypto folk, many similarly burned by attacks.
“Securely storing information on our devices is one of our strong points,” said SIKUR CEO Cristiano Lop, speaking to Engadget. “We succeeded with browser and messaging security. Then we asked, why not do it with cryptocurrency? Cryptos are stored seamlessly and securely on our cloud, without compromising safety.”
Engadget reported that in November and December, Sikur hired security researchers to try to break into the device. The SIKURPhone passed with flying colors.
“[The phone] was subjected to rigorous hacking tests for two months,” said COO Alexandre Vasconcelos in a statement. “We were delighted with the outcome. Hackers failed to gain access to any information.”
SikurPhone is available for pre-order now on Sikur‘s website.
- Stratis Announces New Blockchain Identity App - July 23, 2018
- SophiaTX and ArkTree Partner to Promote Blockchain in South Africa - July 19, 2018
- Embleema Announces Healthcare Blockchain - July 18, 2018
- Quants, Blockchain & Bots: Gimmer Launches Automated Crypto Platform - July 13, 2018
- Swiss Stock Exchange Building Infrastructure for Digital Assets - July 12, 2018
- HBUS Launches Virtual Currency Platform Open to U.S. Users - July 10, 2018
- Archax Announces Platform that will Cater to Traditional and Crypto Investors - June 29, 2018
- Arsenal FC’s Crypto Partner, CashBet Raises $38 Million - June 22, 2018
- BOX Digital and tZERO Partner for SEC-Regulated Crypto Exchange - June 20, 2018
- Leading Argentine Credit Issuer Naranja Partners with Ripio - June 15, 2018
- Can This Korean Company Trump a President and Launch Peninsula-Wide Satellite Services? - June 14, 2018
- Quebec Moves to Restrict Crypto Mining - June 8, 2018
- Sagewise Using Hashgraph Blockchain to Underpin Smart Contract Resolution - June 7, 2018
- ALTR Releases Blockchain-Based Security Software - June 6, 2018
- Blockchain Startup Paxos Pivots to a $65 Million Raise - June 5, 2018
- Game Changer? Gaming Veterans Join Forces to Create Ultra Platform - June 1, 2018
- Harvard’s Experfy Launches ICO for Blockchain Education Platform - May 31, 2018
- Am-Ex Brings Blockchain to Membership Rewards - May 29, 2018
- Leading SV Funds Back User-Friendly Digital Assets Platform Tari - May 24, 2018
- æternity Launch Blockchain Incubator and Investment Network - May 23, 2018