Bermuda Premier David Burt announced on Monday a number of positive financial developments in his territory, which is aiming to be one of the world’s leading jurisdictions for blockchain companies. New initiatives include a strategic partnership with Binance and a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Medici Ventures.
Burt, who is also Bermuda’s minister of finance, said that the jurisdiction has launched a series of initiatives to make fintech and virtual currencies the “third pillar” of its economy alongside financial services and tourism.
Among these initiatives is a partnership with the Malta-based Binance Group to develop its compliance base on the territory. The move will create at least 40 jobs, as well as a sponsorship of up to USD 10 million worth of university-level training for Bermudians in blockchain technology development and compliance, and an investment of USD 5 million for new blockchain companies.
Similarly, Bermuda has signed a MoU with the US-based Medici Ventures, which was formed to incubate, launch, and invest in blockchain investments. According to Burt, Medici Ventures will make Bermuda its laboratory for the most leading-edge blockchain innovations coming out of its stable of a dozen blockchain firms, and create 30 jobs over the next three years. Medici Ventures will also work to develop a security token trading platform in Bermuda, and focus its social contribution in the territory on creating software development engineers there, Burt said.
Finally, Burt announced that SS&P Global Ratings has upgraded its outlook on Bermuda, affirming its A+ long-term sovereign credit and senior unsecured debt ratings as well as its a-1 short-term ratings and its AA+ and convertibility assessment. This is the first outlook upgrade by a leading credit agency in Bermuda’s financial rating since 2010, according to Burt.
“The revised outlook follows a period of positive real economic growth, and expectations of a continuing trend for the next two years, combined with a narrowing of the fiscal deficit,” Burt’s announcement stated.
- Stratis Announces New Blockchain Identity App - July 23, 2018
- SophiaTX and ArkTree Partner to Promote Blockchain in South Africa - July 19, 2018
- Embleema Announces Healthcare Blockchain - July 18, 2018
- Quants, Blockchain & Bots: Gimmer Launches Automated Crypto Platform - July 13, 2018
- Swiss Stock Exchange Building Infrastructure for Digital Assets - July 12, 2018
- HBUS Launches Virtual Currency Platform Open to U.S. Users - July 10, 2018
- Archax Announces Platform that will Cater to Traditional and Crypto Investors - June 29, 2018
- Arsenal FC’s Crypto Partner, CashBet Raises $38 Million - June 22, 2018
- BOX Digital and tZERO Partner for SEC-Regulated Crypto Exchange - June 20, 2018
- Leading Argentine Credit Issuer Naranja Partners with Ripio - June 15, 2018
- Can This Korean Company Trump a President and Launch Peninsula-Wide Satellite Services? - June 14, 2018
- Quebec Moves to Restrict Crypto Mining - June 8, 2018
- Sagewise Using Hashgraph Blockchain to Underpin Smart Contract Resolution - June 7, 2018
- ALTR Releases Blockchain-Based Security Software - June 6, 2018
- Blockchain Startup Paxos Pivots to a $65 Million Raise - June 5, 2018
- Game Changer? Gaming Veterans Join Forces to Create Ultra Platform - June 1, 2018
- Harvard’s Experfy Launches ICO for Blockchain Education Platform - May 31, 2018
- Am-Ex Brings Blockchain to Membership Rewards - May 29, 2018
- Leading SV Funds Back User-Friendly Digital Assets Platform Tari - May 24, 2018
- æternity Launch Blockchain Incubator and Investment Network - May 23, 2018