Cloud alternative SONM, a decentralized, fog computing platform, claims to have connected a million devices simultaneously, creating a cost-effective virtual marketplace for buying and renting computer power.
According to an announcement on Tuesday, after raising USD 42 million, SONM has now released its MVP Testnet to allow developers to sample its range of fog computing services. They can also relay critical feedback and necessary improvements to be made to the platform, ahead of the product’s first commercial release this summer.
The SONM marketplace consists of suppliers and consumers that either rent out or purchase computing power to perform their tasks.
Consumers that connect to the virtual space can either select a rental time or buy available power needed for their projects, and then calculate the cost accordingly. Power resources can be used to render videos, host apps and websites, make scientific calculations, manage data storage, or work with machine learning.
Suppliers, the computing power owners, earn /SNM tokens when they sell computer resources to the consumers.
According to the company’s statement, SONM, founded last year, is decentralized, transparent and free from ownership, and is also less expensive than centralized competitors.
“It’s our dream to provide an all-inclusive alternative to the cloud, that can complete more than one task amongst a variety of clients and their computational needs,” stated co-founder of SONM, Aleksei Antonov (pictured), in a statement. “Based on blockchain technology and by using fog computing services, we have successfully built an environment where cryptocurrency and computing power resources can complement each other, with an ever-expanding potential that comes from the millions and millions of devices connected to our platform from all over the world.”
- Civil Wants to Make News More Ethical - July 23, 2018
- GeTS Links ASEAN and China with Cross Border Trade Blockchain - July 20, 2018
- A SVPER Secure Instant Video Dating Network - July 20, 2018
- Change Launches Mobile App for Fee-Free Crypto Trading - July 20, 2018
- IAB Tech Lab Lifts Veil on Digital Advertising Potential - July 19, 2018
- Grid7 Gets $1 Million DOE Grant for Decentralized Energy Grid - July 19, 2018
- Seth Shapiro’s Blockchain TV Platform Wants to Improve on Netflix with “Proof of Engagement” - July 19, 2018
- Korean Fund Hashed Backs Ad Platform XCHNG - July 18, 2018
- TaTaTu is Giving Away $50 Million in Tokens - July 17, 2018
- CoinFlip Adds Dash to US Crypto ATM Network - July 17, 2018
- UK Can Become Blockchain Leader by 2022: Report - July 17, 2018
- Tezos Offers Innovation Grants for Platform Projects - July 16, 2018
- Content Protection Platform Typerium Files Patents - July 16, 2018
- 4NEW is Mining Crypto with Waste Power - July 16, 2018
- Fujitsu’s Business Analysis Service Offers Speedy Crypto Project Review - July 13, 2018
- Binance Backs Malta’s Decentralized Founders Bank - July 13, 2018
- Self-Regulation is an Option for Crypto Exchanges: AEI - July 12, 2018
- Pundi X Puts POS in Hong Kong Restaurants - July 12, 2018
- TokenPay Strikes Deal With Litecoin to Buy Stake in WEG Bank - July 12, 2018
- ConsenSys Joins Blockchain Consortium to Disrupt Mineral Trading - July 11, 2018