The US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has beefed up its supervision of digital currencies with the appointment of Valerie Szczepanik to a newly created post to oversee and coordinate how Securities law will apply to cryptocurrencies and token sales.
According to a press release Monday, Szczepanik has been named Associate Director of the Division of Corporation Finance and Senior Advisor for Digital Assets and Innovation, by the SEC.
Having joined the SEC in 1997, Szczepanik most recently served as an Assistant Director in the Division of Enforcement’s Cyber Unit. She is the Head of the SEC’s Distributed Ledger Technology Working Group, Co-Head of its Dark Web Working Group, and a member of its FinTech Working Group.
“Valerie’s thought leadership in this area is recognized both within the Commission and across financial regulators in the United States and abroad,” said Chairman Jay Clayton, in a statement. “With her demonstrated skill, experience, and keen awareness of the importance of fostering innovation while ensuring investor protection, Val is the right person to coordinate our efforts in this dynamic area that has both promise and risk.”
According to the SEC statement, Szczepranik recognized the securities law implications of initial coin offerings (ICO’s), cryptocurrencies and tokenized securities early on.
Along with the announcement of Szczepanik’s appointment, the SEC indicated that it doesn’t intend to issue any knee-jerk regulations. So, while Szczepanik clearly has a strong background in distributed ledger technology, cybersecurity and securities laws, commentators are not expecting to see regulations issued imminently. As CCN has suggested, “with her appointment, the SEC is either moving closer to announcing regulation or stalling.” It seems that, for now, the jury is still out on whether this is a positive move for the industry.
- Civil Wants to Make News More Ethical - July 23, 2018
- GeTS Links ASEAN and China with Cross Border Trade Blockchain - July 20, 2018
- A SVPER Secure Instant Video Dating Network - July 20, 2018
- Change Launches Mobile App for Fee-Free Crypto Trading - July 20, 2018
- IAB Tech Lab Lifts Veil on Digital Advertising Potential - July 19, 2018
- Grid7 Gets $1 Million DOE Grant for Decentralized Energy Grid - July 19, 2018
- Seth Shapiro’s Blockchain TV Platform Wants to Improve on Netflix with “Proof of Engagement” - July 19, 2018
- Korean Fund Hashed Backs Ad Platform XCHNG - July 18, 2018
- TaTaTu is Giving Away $50 Million in Tokens - July 17, 2018
- CoinFlip Adds Dash to US Crypto ATM Network - July 17, 2018
- UK Can Become Blockchain Leader by 2022: Report - July 17, 2018
- Tezos Offers Innovation Grants for Platform Projects - July 16, 2018
- Content Protection Platform Typerium Files Patents - July 16, 2018
- 4NEW is Mining Crypto with Waste Power - July 16, 2018
- Fujitsu’s Business Analysis Service Offers Speedy Crypto Project Review - July 13, 2018
- Binance Backs Malta’s Decentralized Founders Bank - July 13, 2018
- Self-Regulation is an Option for Crypto Exchanges: AEI - July 12, 2018
- Pundi X Puts POS in Hong Kong Restaurants - July 12, 2018
- TokenPay Strikes Deal With Litecoin to Buy Stake in WEG Bank - July 12, 2018
- ConsenSys Joins Blockchain Consortium to Disrupt Mineral Trading - July 11, 2018