Morgan Stanley released a presentation on Friday giving an update on Bitcoin, cryptocurrencies, and the blockchain. The report synthesis data from various crypto focused data sources like blockchain.info, coinmarketcap.com, and bitcoinity.org with proprietary Morgan Stanley Research to develop a number of insights into the current state of the cryptocurrency landscape.
Even as prices have suffered, the scale and success of the cryptocurrency and initial coin offering (ICO) market has been breathtaking. Crowdsales have raised over USD 10 billion, between active and defunct coins, already in 2018 – and that total excludes the USD 4 billion raise by the recently launched EOS protocol.
While trading volumes have fallen dramatically since December 2017, the overall cryptocurrency market has a value of over USD 300 billion, spread across more than 1,000 coins and tokens.
Even with wild swings in price, Bitcoin has not achieved the status of a truly effective payment system and will likely continue to be impeded by a few key structural issues, says the report.
High volatility is a part of everyday life in the land of cryptocurrency, but such substantial swings make it difficult for users to be confident the value of their Bitcoin won’t double tomorrow, making them far less likely to spend it like they would a more stable currency. Technology has been advanced to facilitate retail use, of Bitcoin in particular, to address familiar issues like transaction time and fees, but the fundamental lack of enthusiasm for spending on one candy bar today what might buy two tomorrow is reflected in almost nonexistent Bitcoin acceptance among top e-commerce retailers.
Price volatility also makes it more difficult for small-scale Bitcoin mining operations to remain profitable and in business, as extended price slumps can make fixed costs like facility rentals and cooling greater than the return from selling coins for revenue. Costs for electricity can also price out many miners who don’t have access to abundant cheap power. The convergence of all of these factors is the concentration of mining power into just a handful of mining pools, increasing the risk from bad behavior by members of the network and ultimately affecting the governance of the protocol itself.
In spite of these potential issues, Bitcoin mining shows no signs of stopping and, in fact, Morgan Stanley predicts the energy costs will rise exponentially over the coming months and years, growing to account for as much electric usage as 15 million US homes.
Where there’s lots of money, problems to solve, and systems to optimize, you can bet that venture capital firms and other entities related to traditional equity will continue to hunt for opportunities. Morgan Stanley research captures a blowout 2017 with the creation of over 175 cryptocurrency trading and investment funds of more than 250 total, boasting over USD 3.5 billion in AUM.
Existing banks around the world are also taking a huge interest in blockchain technology for a wide variety of use cases, with concepts and other initiatives currently in various stages of completeness.
A final insight jumped out for its unique perspective – Morgan Stanley Researchers have noted that the price chart for Bitcoin since August 2016 has tracked with a high correlation to the NASDAQ composite between June 1994 and 2002. While perhaps not the most actionable information, it’s the type of insight you only get from researchers and analysts who are veterans in the field of finance and can use their prior experience to make educated choices and facilitate knowledge transfer in the closely related disciplines of crypto and finance.
- PundiX Signs UTRUST as Liquidity Clearing Provider for Crypto POS Hardware - June 22, 2018
- Blockchain on the Ballot: Indie Party Candidate Joins Texas Senate Race - June 21, 2018
- IONChain Aims to Challenge IOTA on a Chinese Battleground - June 19, 2018
- Takeaways From SEC Director’s Comments on Cryptocurrencies and Securities - June 19, 2018
- Crypto Unsuitable to Replace Fiat for Everyday Transactions: BIS Report - June 19, 2018
- Deep Dive: TRON’s Acquisition of BitTorrent - June 18, 2018
- UK Blockchain Projects Race Against the Clock to Make Brexit Doable - June 15, 2018
- SingularityNET and DeepBrain Chain Partner for AI Dev’t Platform - June 14, 2018
- Accenture Healthcare Report: Blockchain a “Critical Component” - June 13, 2018
- ShelterZoom: Interest in Blockchain Real Estate Solution Ramps Up - June 13, 2018
- Chainalysis Research Reveals Extent to Which Bitcoin Wealth Is Concentrated - June 12, 2018
- Blockchain Startup R3 Could Burn Through $100 Million In Just Two Years, Sources Claim - June 11, 2018
- How Blockchain Will Change Cities: Report - June 11, 2018
- Crypto Developers Respond To Microsoft’s GitHub Acquisition - June 11, 2018
- Morgan Stanley Offers Insight Into Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency and Blockchain - June 7, 2018
- Empower’s Speedy Financial App Integrates Major Crypto Exchanges - June 6, 2018
- Huobi Launches HB10 Crypto Index Tracking Product - June 5, 2018
- Singapore’s DREP and Quarkchain to Accelerate Scaling and Interoperability - June 4, 2018
- Bittrex Rolls out Fiat Currency Trading for Corporate Customers - June 4, 2018
- Deutsche Börse Lays Out Blockchain and Technology Focus in 2020 Strategy - June 1, 2018
- Tezos Prepares Beta Launch - June 1, 2018
- Swytch Announces Crowdsale Dates, Joins Energy Web Foundation - May 31, 2018
- EOS Mainnet Move: 174+ Block Producer Candidates Vie for Election - May 31, 2018
- Swiss Crowdfunding Grows By Leaps And Bounds, Raising 3X Last Year’s Totals - May 29, 2018
- Everipedia Prepares June Airdrop Supported by Multiple Crypto Exchanges - May 25, 2018
- Future of Global Trade: 250 Experts Polled on Tech, Finance & Blockchain - May 22, 2018
- KODAKCoin SAFT Launches Today - May 21, 2018
- Stratis Announces Alpha Release of Smart Contracts in C# - May 21, 2018
- Pan-African FinTech Firm Cellulant Raises $47.5 Million, Scales up Blockchain Division - May 18, 2018
- Deloitte Showcases Blockchain Projects at Consensus 2018 - May 17, 2018
- ConsenSys Teams up with Amazon to Deliver Streamlined Access to Blockchain - May 17, 2018
- Coinify to Broker Funds Raised in Blockshipping ICO - May 17, 2018
- Deloitte Survey Numbers Demonstrate Executive Faith in Blockchain - May 16, 2018
- Flyingcarpet Counts Coconuts in Papua New Guinea in ‘World First’ Demo - May 15, 2018
- Devcash Blockchain Clocks in at 2.5 Million Transactions per Second - May 15, 2018
- Verv Partners with Ocean Protocol for Improved Consumer Energy Data - May 15, 2018
- Energi Mine Launches Beta Version of Energy-Saving Rewards Program - May 15, 2018
- Shyft Whitepaper Outlines New Standards for Regulatory Compliance - May 14, 2018
- Stratis Announces Zero Fee Platform for Launching ICOs - May 11, 2018
- CG Blockchain Closes $31 Million Public Sale for Crypto Terminal - May 11, 2018
- New York Stock Exchange Owners Prepare Bitcoin Trading Platform - May 10, 2018
- QUOINE to Launch ICO Mission Control for Better Token Sales - May 9, 2018
- Pundi X to Accept Michael Owen’s Celebrity Coin at POS Terminals - May 9, 2018
- Bezant Content Sharing Platform Closes $16.8 Million Presale in Under One Hour - May 8, 2018
- Overstock.com and tZERO Refocus Management Positions as Growth Accelerates - May 8, 2018
- World’s Major Automakers Mobilize on Blockchain for New Initiative - May 7, 2018
- Winklevoss’ Gemini Exchange Partners with Nasdaq for Financial Surveillance Tech - May 4, 2018
- CoinList Announces Airdrops with Focus on US Securities Compliance - May 4, 2018
- IBM Announces Cross-Industry Initiative to Track Finished Jewelry - May 3, 2018
- FuzeX To Enable Debit Card Style Payments in Energi Mine Tokens, Fiat Coming Soon - May 1, 2018