Argo Blockchain is raising GBP 20 million to become the first crypto miner on the London Stock Exchange (LSE). The UK listing authority approved their listing on the exchange two weeks ago.
Jonathan Bixby, executive chairman of Argo, said to Business Insider: “A London stock market listing will provide Argo with the profile, credibility and access to global capital to drive our growth and help us establish a leadership position in the long term.”
Argo will set its prices at USD 25 a month which allows a user to join its mining pools to mine Ethereum (ETH), Ethereum Classic (ETC), Bitcoin Gold (BTG) and Zcash (ZEC). Argo has its headquarters in London but their mining facility is in Quebec which has faced recent ‘unprecedented’ demands of electricity from crypto miners.
Argo cofounder Mike Edwards said, in a statement: “Setting up a computer rig to mine cryptocurrency is challenging, inefficient and expensive. I knew that we had to change the game and democratise the process so that crypto-mining could become a mainstream consumer activity.”
Argo, which provides services for individuals to mine cryptocurrencies, claims it has more than 50,000 customers who want to use its services but currently only have a global staff of 20. However, their main rival, Genesis, has 2 million clients and a waiting list of more than six months.
And, even though Argo is a company focused on cryptocurrencies, customers must pay in fiat money to use their services. On the other hand, Genesis accepts payment in Bitcoin, Litecoin, Dash and even the meme-based cryptocurrency Dogecoin.
The mining market was estimated at USD 610.91 million in 2016 and is forecast to be valued at USD 38.38 billion by 2025. Crypto miners solve computational puzzles to be rewarded with the creation of the next block in the chain which allows them to create a set amount of the currency and send it to their own address.
- Neufund Partners with Binance and Malta Stock Exchange - July 23, 2018
- IBM Partners with Stablecoin Stronghold USD on Stellar Network - July 18, 2018
- New Blockchain Platform to Provide Digital Immortality - July 18, 2018
- NatWest Joins R3 Blockchain Finance Platform Marco Polo - July 17, 2018
- iXledger Offers New Blockchain Insurance with London Broker - July 16, 2018
- Tech Group MonetaryUnit to Acquire Flubit and Launch Crypto Marketplace - July 13, 2018
- Futuristic, Blockchain-Powered, Algae-Coated Towers Proposed for Hangzhou - July 11, 2018
- Unchain Teams with KPN and Microsoft for Enterprise Blockchain Solutions - July 11, 2018
- Zen Protocol Launches Mainnet Genesis Block - July 10, 2018
- Palladium Launches Regulated ICCO for Institutional Investors - July 10, 2018
- Malta Approves Three Regulatory Bills to Encourage Crypto Adoption - July 5, 2018
- Ron Paul: “Crypto can Bring Back Gold Standard” - July 4, 2018
- EU Report Blasts Economists Who Criticize Cryptocurrencies - July 3, 2018
- VeChain Launches Thor Blockchain. Token Swap Set for Mid-July - July 3, 2018
- Galaxy Digital Invests $20 Million in Blockchain Virtual Reality Platform - July 2, 2018
- DNAtix Pilot Blockchain Technology for Preventative Healthcare - June 28, 2018
- Regulatory Clarity Will Have a Snowball Effect on Institutional Investors - June 28, 2018
- New Platforms Open Up Smart Contracts to Non-Developers - June 28, 2018
- Hyperledger Executive Explores Real-World Uses of Blockchain - June 28, 2018
- Blockchain Tech set to “Overthrow” Current Banking System: ABM AMRO Exec - June 28, 2018