KT SAT Co., Ltd., Korea’s only satellite service provider, announced on Monday plans to use technological advancements — including 5G, quantum cryptography and a blockchain service for secure data sharing — to launch services in North Korea.
KT SAT stated that it’s undertaking these efforts in order to become the world’s seventh-largest satellite operator. Currently, it ranks number 18.
“As two Koreas move toward peace recently, KT SAT expects to launch its satellite service in North Korea, a potential market for communications and broadcasting networks,” the company stated. “[KT SAT parent company] KT Corp. has created a special task force to support inter-Korean cooperation and expand exchanges in ICT following April’s landmark summit between North and South Korea.
To improve customer convenience, Korea’s leading satellite operator is seeking to use blockchain technology, another promising innovation on cryptography, for maritime satellite services, such as getting real-time information on the use of data, service charges and settlements, the company stated.
Currently serving some 500 ships that operate in international waters, KT SAT stated that it expects the number of its clients to increase sharply, particularly because a growing number of young people manning Korea’s deep-sea fishing vessels demand stable telecommunications and access to information.
In the domestic MVSAT market, KT SAT says it provides service to 35 percent of the ships in the 500-ton class, or 700 vessels, which operate in coastal waters. The goal is to have a 50 percent share, or 1,000 ships, by 2020, the company stated.
KT SAT was established as a KT Corp. subsidiary, specializing in satellite services, when Korea’s top telecom provider spun off its satellite business in 2012.
- Arsenal FC’s Crypto Partner, CashBet Raises $38 Million - June 22, 2018
- BOX Digital and tZERO Partner for SEC-Regulated Crypto Exchange - June 20, 2018
- Leading Argentine Credit Issuer Naranja Partners with Ripio - June 15, 2018
- Can This Korean Company Trump a President and Launch Peninsula-Wide Satellite Services? - June 14, 2018
- Quebec Moves to Restrict Crypto Mining - June 8, 2018
- Sagewise Using Hashgraph Blockchain to Underpin Smart Contract Resolution - June 7, 2018
- ALTR Releases Blockchain-Based Security Software - June 6, 2018
- Blockchain Startup Paxos Pivots to a $65 Million Raise - June 5, 2018
- Game Changer? Gaming Veterans Join Forces to Create Ultra Platform - June 1, 2018
- Harvard’s Experfy Launches ICO for Blockchain Education Platform - May 31, 2018
- Am-Ex Brings Blockchain to Membership Rewards - May 29, 2018
- Leading SV Funds Back User-Friendly Digital Assets Platform Tari - May 24, 2018
- æternity Launch Blockchain Incubator and Investment Network - May 23, 2018
- CheapAir Now Accepts Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash and Dash - May 22, 2018
- Foxconn Buys Into Cambridge Blockchain with $7 Million Investment - May 21, 2018
- Exscudo Launches EON Mainet for Access to Capital Markets - May 16, 2018
- Poland Becomes First Country to Put Banking Records on Blockchain - May 16, 2018
- AllRites Asian Broadcast Content Platform Looks to Blockchain to Solve Industry Issues - May 11, 2018
- Synereo Partners with the YouTube of China to Decentralize Content Economy - May 11, 2018
- Binance, Medici Ventures Set up in Bermuda as Territory Touts Blockchain-Friendly Status - May 8, 2018
- Blocksquare Launches Real Estate Token Sale and Pilot Program - April 27, 2018
- Blockchain Sports Platform chiliZ Raises $27m - April 25, 2018
- Verv Conducts UK’s First Blockchain Energy Trade - April 20, 2018
- Wanchain Announces First Cohort of Incubating Blockchain Companies - April 20, 2018
- OKEx Announces Expansion to Blockchain-Friendly Malta - April 16, 2018
- AlphaBit Fee-Free Crypto Exchange Launches - April 13, 2018
- Office-Provider Knotel Raises $70m, Readies Blockchain Tech - April 12, 2018
- Proxeus Reaches Major Milestone in Registering Company via Blockchain Tech - April 11, 2018
- Ranieri Partners With Symbiont to Bring Blockchain to Mortgage Market - April 9, 2018
- Securitize Taps Carlos Domingo to Head Operations - April 6, 2018
- Tim Draper’s Dragon Fund Backs OPEN’s App Payment Tech - March 30, 2018
- NEM Launches Catapult Blockchain Platform Update - March 29, 2018
- Outlier Ventures-Backed Seed Vault and Bottish Partner for Blockchain Bot Platform - March 28, 2018
- Blocksquare Gets Set for Blockchain Real Estate Platform Crowdsale - March 26, 2018
- Overledger Wants to Enable DApps to Communicate Cross-Platform, Presale Launched - March 20, 2018
- QuantmRE Plans to Democratize Real Estate With Equity-Backed Tokens - March 19, 2018
- A Multi-Asset Blockchain-Based Exchange, TradeConnect ICO Launches March 27 - March 15, 2018
- Tezos Foundation Funds Obsidian Systems to Develop Security Solutions - March 14, 2018
- Ambisafe’s Orderbook Launches Token to Ensure Regulatory Compliance - March 13, 2018
- Recruitment Platform ShiftPixy Moves Into Blockchain, Sees Share Price Soar - March 9, 2018
- Arctic Blockchain Raises CAD 10m, Acquires Crypto-Miner Hyrdo66 - March 8, 2018
- BLOC Targets Game Console Crypto Mining, Acquires Coinstream - March 7, 2018
- Blockchain-Based Virtual Reality Firm, VRT World Announces March ICO - March 5, 2018
- Encrypted SIKURPhone Claims to Protect Data and Cryptocurrency - February 28, 2018
- BnkToTheFuture Closes $33m Offering, Sells Out in Less Than 15 Hours - February 27, 2018
- BetterBetting Lists on HitBTC Exchange - February 26, 2018
- Profile Club Touts Coworking Model as Path to Real Estate Ownership - February 26, 2018
- Medici Ventures’ Bitt Inc. to Create Digital Payments Ecosystem in Montserrat - February 21, 2018
- Neuromation and Longenesis Partner to Transform Healthcare With Blockchain and AI - February 20, 2018
- IdentityMind Raises $10m, Outlines Expansion Plans - February 16, 2018