Galaxy Digital, owned by Hedge fund manager Mike Novogratz, has invested USD 20 million in High Fidelity, a blockchain-based virtual reality (VR) platform. Announced on June 28 by High Fidelity’s CEO and co-founder Philip Rosedale, it was the majority investment in their Series D funding.
The investment by Galaxy EOS Ecosystem Fund was part of a USD 35 million raise from investors including existing partners such as Breyer Capital, IDG Capital Partners and Vulcan Capital. New investor Blockchain Capital also contributed to the funds raised in this round. The total funding raised for High Fidelity is now more than USD 70 million.
The funds raised will be used to expand research and development, speed up hiring new employees and open a new office in Seattle. Rosedale was the founder of Second Life, which was a mainstream virtual world and digital currency that produced over USD 4 billion in virtual transactions.
“Virtual reality may be the first killer app for blockchain. It’s a global phenomenon that fundamentally requires a trustless consensus mechanism for currency, property and identity. That’s what the new generation of blockchain protocols like EOS enable, and High Fidelity has the vision, team and open platform to lead the worldwide transition from atoms to bits,” said Sam Englebardt, a founding partner of Galaxy Digital Ventures, in a statement.
High Fidelity has been developing a software platform for delivering social VR experiences. They have a high number of contributors who are delivering new content and location-based VR services. They aim to create a shared, open and interactive experience for users to exchange ideas through virtual environments.
Rosedale said that Galaxy Digital will help with High Fidelity’s adoption of blockchain technology and create the right partnerships in the ecosystem, such as with the EOS blockchain which they are testing. He also said that, in the future, VR users will be going to school, attending events and building new worlds within the software.
- Neufund Partners with Binance and Malta Stock Exchange - July 23, 2018
- IBM Partners with Stablecoin Stronghold USD on Stellar Network - July 18, 2018
- New Blockchain Platform to Provide Digital Immortality - July 18, 2018
- NatWest Joins R3 Blockchain Finance Platform Marco Polo - July 17, 2018
- iXledger Offers New Blockchain Insurance with London Broker - July 16, 2018
- Tech Group MonetaryUnit to Acquire Flubit and Launch Crypto Marketplace - July 13, 2018
- Futuristic, Blockchain-Powered, Algae-Coated Towers Proposed for Hangzhou - July 11, 2018
- Unchain Teams with KPN and Microsoft for Enterprise Blockchain Solutions - July 11, 2018
- Zen Protocol Launches Mainnet Genesis Block - July 10, 2018
- Palladium Launches Regulated ICCO for Institutional Investors - July 10, 2018
- Malta Approves Three Regulatory Bills to Encourage Crypto Adoption - July 5, 2018
- Ron Paul: “Crypto can Bring Back Gold Standard” - July 4, 2018
- EU Report Blasts Economists Who Criticize Cryptocurrencies - July 3, 2018
- VeChain Launches Thor Blockchain. Token Swap Set for Mid-July - July 3, 2018
- Galaxy Digital Invests $20 Million in Blockchain Virtual Reality Platform - July 2, 2018
- DNAtix Pilot Blockchain Technology for Preventative Healthcare - June 28, 2018
- Regulatory Clarity Will Have a Snowball Effect on Institutional Investors - June 28, 2018
- New Platforms Open Up Smart Contracts to Non-Developers - June 28, 2018
- Hyperledger Executive Explores Real-World Uses of Blockchain - June 28, 2018
- Blockchain Tech set to “Overthrow” Current Banking System: ABM AMRO Exec - June 28, 2018