Each week, Blockchain News brings you the best social media tidbits, FUD and other oddities from the cryptosphere’s social media landscape.
“Burn in hell”
Ethereum creator Vitalik Buterin sparked mass outrage after an interview with TechCrunch in which he said that he hopes centralized crypto exchanges “burn in hell.”
The CEO of centralized exchange Binance, Changpeng Zhao, responded to Buterin’s comment in a tweet:
Got asked a few times, re: “Vitalik’s burn in hell”.
Let’s not wish others to "burn in hell". Let’s have a bigger heart, and appreciate the fact that we are part of an eco-system… pic.twitter.com/4QYGKus0Gk
— CZ (not giving crypto away) (@cz_binance) July 10, 2018
Countless tweets and news articles poured out over the war of words. One Twitter user wrote:
@VitalikButerin s "burn in hell" comment raises several deeply theological questions
1. Is hell centralised?
2. Does it use notaries?
3. Are they burning coal or nuclear fuel there?
4. How many people can it process per second?
6. Is hell in production yet?#blockchain
— Ajit Tripathi (@chainyoda) July 11, 2018
Bancor Hack — $13.5 Million USD Lost
Just 24 hours after Buterin’s remarks, decentralized exchange Bancor suffered a security breach resulting in roughly $13.5 million USD stolen in ether and NPXS. People were quick to point out the irony of the situation:
The irony. They got hacked next day after they have been promoted as the most secure solution vs. centralized exchanges. @VitalikButerin screaming "burn in hell centralized exchanges, we have @Bancor ". Next day, boom 20m$ in assets stolen from decentralized exchange! #ETH $ETH pic.twitter.com/nYmAZ7FD2C
— Spiry (@SpiryBTC) July 10, 2018
6-year-old on Blockchain & Crypto
Even children can grasp the basic concepts of blockchain and cryptocurrency, as this 6-year-old girl from Australia demonstrates. “Don’t give up on your bitcoin,” she says. “You have to work hard.”
Don't give up on your bitcoin. A message on blockchain and cryptocurrency from a 6yo girl. #crypto #cryptocurrency #blockchain #bitcoin #cryptokids #cryptocurrencynews #kids #innovation #usd #tech #wallet #btc #alt #coinbase #success #forex #ico #news #mining #altcoin pic.twitter.com/4EoXw70wJU
— Crypto Blackboard (@amydashrose) July 11, 2018
Rumors of Facebook Acquiring Coinbase
In January, Facebook banned all cryptocurrency advertisements. On June 26, Rob Leathern — product management director at Facebook — published a blog post revealing that the social media site was going to be loosening some of its policies regarding crypto ads. This rollback came amidst rumors that Facebook would acquiring Coinbase, a cryptocurrency exchange.
Reactions on Twitter to the rumors varied. Philip Nunn, CEO of The Blackmore Group, advised the exchange to wait:
— Phillip Nunn 🚀 (@PhillipNunnUK) July 10, 2018
The founder of City AM responded to Nunn’s tweet, comparing the situation to Facebook and Microsoft:
Funny memories as I remember when Microsoft offered Mark Zuckberg $1bn and he turned them down. The rest is history isn’t it? My belief has always been that if you believe in what you are doing, stick with it. That being said always temper that with the interests of your backers!
— City AM's Crypto Insider (@CityAM_Crypto) July 10, 2018
- Chicago Blockchain Project to Hold First Voice of Blockchain Event - July 31, 2018
- How the .HIVE Gaming App is Buzzing Into the Cryptosphere - July 25, 2018
- What Would Happen if Bitcoin Crashed? Not Much - July 23, 2018
- Venture Capitalist Rumi Morales on the Crypto-Space - July 23, 2018
- Brian Armstrong and Vitalik Buterin Make a Rihanna Sandwich in Fortune’s “40 Under 40” - July 23, 2018
- This Week on Crypto Social Media: Barry Silbert, Bernie Sanders and ‘Supine Ignorance’ - July 20, 2018
- What Do Jeremy Renner of ‘The Avengers’ and a $40 Million Bitcoin Heist Have in Common? - July 17, 2018
- Bitcoin Will Reach $20,000 USD by End of 2018, Says Expert - July 16, 2018
- Accenture and Thales Debut Blockchain Technology for the Aerospace Industry at Farnborough - July 16, 2018
- This Week on Crypto Social Media: ‘Burn in hell,’ Facebook Acquiring Coinbase? - July 13, 2018
- Quantum Computing Will Impact Blockchain Technology — Find Out How - July 13, 2018
- Behind the Scenes of Ivan on Tech’s Crypto YouTube Channel - July 13, 2018
- Taking on Alexa and Cortana, Snips Debuts Blockchain-Based AI Assistant - July 13, 2018
- Trump Delivers Executive Order to Establish Crypto Fraud Investigations Task Force - July 13, 2018
- How Vitalik Buterin’s “Burn in Hell” Comment Sparked Discussion on Centralized Exchanges - July 12, 2018
- Google Missed Out on the Blockchain Frontier: Sergey Brin - July 12, 2018
- FinTank Panel: Blockchain Beyond Banking - July 11, 2018
- Bancor Set to Reactivate After $13.5 Million USD Security Breach - July 10, 2018
- Walmart Files Patent to Use Blockchain in Securing Package Deliveries - July 10, 2018
- YouTube Named in Class-Action Lawsuit Against BitConnect - July 10, 2018