In the first three quarters of 2018, 90 cryptocurrency hedge funds were launched, expecting to be on track to reach 120 for the fiscal year, according to Crypto Fund Research. The record rate of new crypto hedge fund launches challenges traditional thinking that hedge funds tend to launch most frequently in bull markets. Leading cryptocurrencies, like Bitcoin and Ethereum, are down 50% or more YTD 2018.
According to Hedge Fund Research, approximately 600 hedge funds, both traditional and crypto funds, are expected to launch in 2018. 20% of these, will be crypto hedge funds. Crypto hedge funds invest largely, or exclusively, in cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Ripple. Some also invest and trade in initial coin offerings (ICOs). The amount of crypto hedge funds are surely on the rise, In 2017 they accounted for 16% of all launches, up from less than 3% in 2016. Two thirds of all currently operational crypto funds have launched in the last seven quarters, through Q3 2018.
“In the midst of 2018’s decline in traditional hedge fund launches, crypto hedge funds are a notable aberration. Cryptocurrency prices have been in a bear market for the better part of the year and regulatory uncertainty persists in much of the world,” said Joshua Gnaizda, founder of Crypto Fund Research. “Yet these seemingly unfavorable market conditions have not deterred managers from launching new crypto hedge funds at a record pace. While we don’t believe the rate of new launches is sustainable longer-term, there are currently few signs of a significant slowdown.”
While crypto hedge funds are now one of the fastest growing hedge fund strategies, crypto funds still make up a small percentage of the overall industry, both in terms of raw numbers as well as assets under management. According to Crypto Fund Research, there are currently 303 crypto hedge funds. Crypto-focused hedge funds comprise just 3% of the more than 9,000 hedge funds currently in operation. Crypto hedge fund assets, at less than $4 billion, are also still quite meager. The global hedge fund industry, by comparison, manages more than $3 trillion.
Though about half of the crypto hedge funds launched this year are based in the US, the rise of the crypto fund is a global phenomenon. Australia, China, Malta, Switzerland, The Netherlands, and the United Kingdom have all seen multiple crypto hedge fund launches in 2018.
- Eurasian Resources Group is Piloting Blockchain Based Solution on the IBM Blockchain Platform - January 21, 2019
- Coinstar to Give Consumers a Convenient and Easy Way to Buy Bitcoin at Coinstar®Kiosks - January 18, 2019
- Tech Firm IBM and MineHub Join to Build Blockchain-Based Platform for More Efficient Metals & Mining Supply Chain Solution - January 17, 2019
- Former Director of Mobile for TripAdvisor and Viator Joins KeyoCoin Team to Help Build Intuitive Mobile Booking Platform - January 10, 2019
- Project PAI Blockchain Protocol and Blockfolio Signal Beta, Create Platform for AI-Powered 3D Avatars - December 17, 2018
- Nigerian Start-up Announces Revolutionary Global Decentralized Health Platform With A Distributed Blockchain - December 15, 2018
- CEO of Panxora Warns: ‘Draconian’ Regulatory Measures Could Risk Losing Control of Crypto in US - December 13, 2018
- Lancor Scientific Links Use of a Digital Token to Global Blockchain-based Cancer Screening Registry - December 13, 2018
- 4-part Documentary series about the Technology Behind Cryptocurrency Premieres online - December 10, 2018
- Local Community in Belgium wants to Unite all Positive Forces with Province-wide LumbU coin - December 9, 2018
- Filmio about to Take Filmmaking into the Future with Tokenized Entertainment Ecosystem - December 7, 2018
- December Cryptocurrency Predictions Report is Cautiously Positive, while some Coins Continue to drop, Others are Expected to Recover - December 6, 2018
- “Blockchain for Europe” Launched by Leading Global Blockchain Companies - December 4, 2018
- G20 leaders call for taxation system of cryptocurrency - December 3, 2018
- Grand Finale Week of Block.one’s EOS Global Hackathon Kicks Off in Cape Town, set to award US$500,000 to winning team - December 3, 2018
- UTRUST announces Partnership with Payrexx to Change European Crypto-Payment Landscape to User Friendly Platform - November 29, 2018
- SportsFix to launch 150,000 Crypto Wallets with ProximaX - November 27, 2018
- London Block Exchange and AlphaPoint Mined First Digital Pound Sterling Ever - November 27, 2018
- Swytch announces Launch of Secure AI-Powered Renewable Energy Platform on Blockchain - November 26, 2018
- All Star Team Announces WHIRL, a Socially Driven ‘Pay it Forward’ Crowdfunding Platform Built on the Blockchain - November 22, 2018