Block Commodities, a leading Agri-Tech company in Africa, is building Farmer 3.0, a new agricultural ecosystem based on three main pillars: empowering smallholder farmers, creating a tokenised system, and developing smart agriculture.
Block Commodities is bringing African farming to a whole new level. Based on disruptive technologies such as blockchain, AI, smartphones, cryptocurrencies and data sharing, the company is building an ecosystem to enhance agricultural activity and production using a blockchain-powered platform that is integrated with machine learning, predictive behavioral analytics and data-driven marketing.
The pilot project started in Uganda in September, when 1,000 smallholder farmers were granted cryptocurrency loans. The farmers were provided with access to finance and credit, allowing them to purchase fertilizers, seeds and tools.
Block’s experts estimate that lack of information, poor transparency, severely limited access to funding and financial incentives, and inefficient trading practices hold back farmers’ production by 50% of its potential – a gap being narrowed by Block’s initiative.
But financial exclusion doesn’t just hold back farmers from growing their production, it also prevents them from climbing out of poverty, since without the right tools, they cannot produce at a sufficient level for commerce. The granted cryptocurrency loans can therefore help scale up production to commercial levels without the need for banks or other institutions.
Innovation and agri-equipment, as well as the use of intelligent data, will help farmers better manage the conditions and resources for production, such as changes in weather, soil fertility and policy making. Smart solutions create an integrated system where farmers can take control of their production and not be left at the mercy of traders.
“When we look at the farming and agriculture landscape in Africa, in terms of production and economy, we see there has been great exclusion of small-scale farmers from the market. 90% of food for the continent comes from European commercial farmers. Block works to integrate smallholder farmers into the system and give them access to the markets by adding value to their practices,” says Clinton Van Eden, head of Africa operations of Block Commodities.
The new farming ecosystem promises to reset the African economy to one that is more inclusive, diverse and tailored to the needs of its own population.
- French Crypto-Friendly Pacte Law Passes Second Reading in National Assembly, Senate Next - March 25, 2019
- Bamboo Capital Partners, Government of Togo and Moeda Seeds Bank Join to Launch the Bloc fund to Consolidate Social Development - March 25, 2019
- Western Union Joins Stellar Partner Thunes to Use Blockchain to Speed Up Transfers - March 25, 2019
- Dragonchain Announces Partnership with Humanitarian Organization M2030, Facilitating Donation Processes with Blockchain to Fight Malaria - March 21, 2019
- PUBLIQ Named Finalist by UK Parliamentary Group for Blockchain Application in Media Category - March 20, 2019
- FashionTV Leaps into the World of Blockchain by Partnering up with Decentralized E-commerce Platform WAAM - March 20, 2019
- Kudelski Security Announces Partnership with Hosho To Secure Blockchain Ecosystems - March 19, 2019
- Blockchain Goes Hollywood is Expected to Attract Blockchain and Crypto Experts, Investors and Celebrities to Epic multi-day Event - March 19, 2019
- Blockmason and Bitsonic Announce Token Generation Event for BLINK, Link’s Utility Token - March 15, 2019
- DX Exchange and Perlin Network Bring Tokenized Apple and Facebook Stocks to Empower a vast new Population of Retail Investors on the Blockchain - March 15, 2019
- Forte And Xpring create $100 Million Fund To stimulate Mainstream Use Of Blockchain In Games - March 13, 2019
- Private Jet Instant Booking Platform Announces Security Token Offering (STO) - March 12, 2019
- Samsung SDS is announcing its plans to innovate in various fields with Blockchain and Intelligent Process Automation - March 12, 2019
- The Fourth Global ICO / STO Report tells us ICOs are Growing Less, but Growing Up - March 11, 2019
- Zilliqa joins Student Organisation at King’s College London to Launch Blockchain A-Z Workshops - March 9, 2019
- Alfa-Bank and the Marco Polo Network join to Optimize Trade Finance with Blockchain technology - March 7, 2019
- Insolar Launches Testnet 1.1 making it the most Scalable Enterprise Blockchain Platform - March 6, 2019
- New Decentralized Social Network Platform Creary rewards Creatives and curators for sharing Digital Art - March 6, 2019
- Tide protocol launches Open Source Data Marketplace to Make Privacy Profitable - March 5, 2019
- Unbanked People Worldwide could Benefit from the Integration between Paxful and Bitmart Exchange - March 5, 2019