Block Commodities, a leading Agri-Tech company in Africa, is building Farmer 3.0, a new agricultural ecosystem based on three main pillars: empowering smallholder farmers, creating a tokenised system, and developing smart agriculture.
Block Commodities is bringing African farming to a whole new level. Based on disruptive technologies such as blockchain, AI, smartphones, cryptocurrencies and data sharing, the company is building an ecosystem to enhance agricultural activity and production using a blockchain-powered platform that is integrated with machine learning, predictive behavioral analytics and data-driven marketing.
The pilot project started in Uganda in September, when 1,000 smallholder farmers were granted cryptocurrency loans. The farmers were provided with access to finance and credit, allowing them to purchase fertilizers, seeds and tools.
Block’s experts estimate that lack of information, poor transparency, severely limited access to funding and financial incentives, and inefficient trading practices hold back farmers’ production by 50% of its potential – a gap being narrowed by Block’s initiative.
But financial exclusion doesn’t just hold back farmers from growing their production, it also prevents them from climbing out of poverty, since without the right tools, they cannot produce at a sufficient level for commerce. The granted cryptocurrency loans can therefore help scale up production to commercial levels without the need for banks or other institutions.
Innovation and agri-equipment, as well as the use of intelligent data, will help farmers better manage the conditions and resources for production, such as changes in weather, soil fertility and policy making. Smart solutions create an integrated system where farmers can take control of their production and not be left at the mercy of traders.
“When we look at the farming and agriculture landscape in Africa, in terms of production and economy, we see there has been great exclusion of small-scale farmers from the market. 90% of food for the continent comes from European commercial farmers. Block works to integrate smallholder farmers into the system and give them access to the markets by adding value to their practices,” says Clinton Van Eden, head of Africa operations of Block Commodities.
The new farming ecosystem promises to reset the African economy to one that is more inclusive, diverse and tailored to the needs of its own population.
- Eurasian Resources Group is Piloting Blockchain Based Solution on the IBM Blockchain Platform - January 21, 2019
- Coinstar to Give Consumers a Convenient and Easy Way to Buy Bitcoin at Coinstar®Kiosks - January 18, 2019
- Tech Firm IBM and MineHub Join to Build Blockchain-Based Platform for More Efficient Metals & Mining Supply Chain Solution - January 17, 2019
- Former Director of Mobile for TripAdvisor and Viator Joins KeyoCoin Team to Help Build Intuitive Mobile Booking Platform - January 10, 2019
- Project PAI Blockchain Protocol and Blockfolio Signal Beta, Create Platform for AI-Powered 3D Avatars - December 17, 2018
- Nigerian Start-up Announces Revolutionary Global Decentralized Health Platform With A Distributed Blockchain - December 15, 2018
- CEO of Panxora Warns: ‘Draconian’ Regulatory Measures Could Risk Losing Control of Crypto in US - December 13, 2018
- Lancor Scientific Links Use of a Digital Token to Global Blockchain-based Cancer Screening Registry - December 13, 2018
- 4-part Documentary series about the Technology Behind Cryptocurrency Premieres online - December 10, 2018
- Local Community in Belgium wants to Unite all Positive Forces with Province-wide LumbU coin - December 9, 2018
- Filmio about to Take Filmmaking into the Future with Tokenized Entertainment Ecosystem - December 7, 2018
- December Cryptocurrency Predictions Report is Cautiously Positive, while some Coins Continue to drop, Others are Expected to Recover - December 6, 2018
- “Blockchain for Europe” Launched by Leading Global Blockchain Companies - December 4, 2018
- G20 leaders call for taxation system of cryptocurrency - December 3, 2018
- Grand Finale Week of Block.one’s EOS Global Hackathon Kicks Off in Cape Town, set to award US$500,000 to winning team - December 3, 2018
- UTRUST announces Partnership with Payrexx to Change European Crypto-Payment Landscape to User Friendly Platform - November 29, 2018
- SportsFix to launch 150,000 Crypto Wallets with ProximaX - November 27, 2018
- London Block Exchange and AlphaPoint Mined First Digital Pound Sterling Ever - November 27, 2018
- Swytch announces Launch of Secure AI-Powered Renewable Energy Platform on Blockchain - November 26, 2018
- All Star Team Announces WHIRL, a Socially Driven ‘Pay it Forward’ Crowdfunding Platform Built on the Blockchain - November 22, 2018