Block Commodities, a leading Agri-Tech company in Africa, is building Farmer 3.0, a new agricultural ecosystem based on three main pillars: empowering smallholder farmers, creating a tokenised system, and developing smart agriculture.
Block Commodities is bringing African farming to a whole new level. Based on disruptive technologies such as blockchain, AI, smartphones, cryptocurrencies and data sharing, the company is building an ecosystem to enhance agricultural activity and production using a blockchain-powered platform that is integrated with machine learning, predictive behavioral analytics and data-driven marketing.
The pilot project started in Uganda in September, when 1,000 smallholder farmers were granted cryptocurrency loans. The farmers were provided with access to finance and credit, allowing them to purchase fertilizers, seeds and tools.
Block’s experts estimate that lack of information, poor transparency, severely limited access to funding and financial incentives, and inefficient trading practices hold back farmers’ production by 50% of its potential – a gap being narrowed by Block’s initiative.
But financial exclusion doesn’t just hold back farmers from growing their production, it also prevents them from climbing out of poverty, since without the right tools, they cannot produce at a sufficient level for commerce. The granted cryptocurrency loans can therefore help scale up production to commercial levels without the need for banks or other institutions.
Innovation and agri-equipment, as well as the use of intelligent data, will help farmers better manage the conditions and resources for production, such as changes in weather, soil fertility and policy making. Smart solutions create an integrated system where farmers can take control of their production and not be left at the mercy of traders.
“When we look at the farming and agriculture landscape in Africa, in terms of production and economy, we see there has been great exclusion of small-scale farmers from the market. 90% of food for the continent comes from European commercial farmers. Block works to integrate smallholder farmers into the system and give them access to the markets by adding value to their practices,” says Clinton Van Eden, head of Africa operations of Block Commodities.
The new farming ecosystem promises to reset the African economy to one that is more inclusive, diverse and tailored to the needs of its own population.
- Facebook’s GlobalCoin Allegedly to be introduced in 2020 - May 24, 2019
- Mobile Carrier AT&T to Accept Online Payment Options in Cryptocurrency with BitPay - May 24, 2019
- Consumers Can Now Buy Bitcoin with Cash at 2,200 Coinstar Kiosks Located Inside Grocery Stores - May 24, 2019
- Visa Token Service Acquired by Eleven New Partners for Enhanced Consumer Confidence in the E-Commerce Space - May 23, 2019
- Voyager Announces Integration of Ledger Vault’s Asset Management System into its Crypto Trading Platform - May 22, 2019
- VeganNation Welcomes Game of Thrones Actor Jerome Flynn to its Advisory Board to Unite the Vegan Community - May 21, 2019
- Huobi Honors Bitcoin Pizza Day by Selling Bitcoin 50% off Market Price & Prime 3 Launch - May 18, 2019
- Dutch Multi City Blockchain Week to be First of its Kind with Events Hosted All Over the Country - May 17, 2019
- Partnership between Travala.com and Bitcoin.com Empowers Travelers to Save on Hotel Stays and Pay Directly with Leading Cryptocurrencies - May 16, 2019
- Q2 Holdings Announces the Launch of Q2 TrustView, a new Governance and Protection Technology for Banking and Lending - May 15, 2019
- First Security Token Blockchain called Polymesh announced by Polymath at Consensus New York 2019 - May 14, 2019
- Facebook lifts Crypto Ad Ban, One Year after the Social Media Giant Banned all Ads Related to Blockchain and Cryptocurrencies - May 9, 2019
- Blockchain Becoming the Revolutionary Technology Guaranteeing High level of Privacy and Security in Emerging Markets - May 8, 2019
- With Hoard, Video Game Developers Will Now Have the Ability to Seamlessly Integrate Games with Ethereum - May 1, 2019
- ShelterZoom Creates Contract and Transaction Management Platform Marking New Contract Evolution on Blockchain - April 19, 2019
- Samsung SDS and Tech Mahindra Join to Explore Global Blockchain Market using Samsung’s Nexledger Platform - April 15, 2019
- Kudelski Security Partners with BTblock, fusing Blockchain Consulting with Technology for better Cybersecurity and Design - April 14, 2019
- Albertsons Companies is Joining Blockchain-based IBM Food Trust Network to Pilot Technology to Increase food Transparency - April 11, 2019
- Opera Announces Brand New Browser for Mac, Windows and Linux with Crypto Wallet, Web 3 Explorer and a free VPN - April 9, 2019
- Blockchain Platform Insolar Accepted into BiTA, Advancing its Mission of Furthering Blockchain Adoption - April 9, 2019