Self-Sovereign Identity solutions provider Evernym has announced five recipients of its first-ever Identity for Good Initiative (ID4G). The Initiative gives select nonprofit organizations access to its technology Accelerator, which regularly costs $50,000 a year and offers new technology, advanced digital identity tools, education and support for building digital ID.
The five recipients are the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), DECODES, iRespond, Rohingya Project and Tykn.
“The humanitarian community exists in a bubble, so access to an existing community of experts and new technologies to help us better serve communities in crisis is an amazing opportunity,” said Nathan Cooper, Senior Adviser at Red Cross.
“We hit the realization that we can no longer do this with a spreadsheet and beneficiary ID cards. We need something more sustainable, something people can establish, create, hold, and access their identities. It brings dignity, choice and economic stimulus to the local markets where humanitarian aid is needed,” said Caroline Holt, head of global cash distribution, Red Cross.
“Our ID for Good Initiative gives NGOs that are on the frontlines of some of the world’s most pressing demands for digital identity an opportunity to participate in a technological revolution at no cost,” said Timothy Ruff, CEO of Evernym. “We’re happy to be bringing together NGOs, governments and commercial interests alike to increase access to necessary technologies and accelerate innovation for Self-Sovereign Identity. Representation among the nonprofit community is essential for the diversity of thought and deployments.
One of the most recognized recipients of the ID for Good grant is the Red Cross. It is the largest distributor of humanitarian cash in the world and has given out nearly $1B in 2017. That’s why its decision to use blockchain to create digital IDs for its millions of constituents has become an organization-wide priority. After assessing multiple digital ID solutions, it sought to become part of the Evernym ID for Good Initiative largely because the company’s technology doesn’t store personally identifiable data on the blockchain.
The World Bank estimates more than 1 billion persons, usually the most vulnerable, are without formal identity. This prevents them from asserting their rights, receiving benefits, keeping their families together, and sometimes affects their very safety. Digital identity is seen as a key solution to this problem. This is especially true thanks to some of the latest advances in the field of Decentralized Identity and one of its more intriguing implementations, Self Sovereign Identity. Many humanitarian-focused organizations are eager to study this technology and determine its applicability for their own mission, but many balk for budgetary reasons.
To learn more about the ID for Good Initiative, please visit: https://www.evernym.com/identityforgood
- US FDA Looks to Blockchain Technology to Secure Drug Supply Chain - February 15, 2019
- Nexo Lending to Offer Crypto-Backed Loans with Blockport Exchange - February 12, 2019
- Chainalysis Secures $30M Investment Led by Accel to Pave Way for Next Wave of Cryptocurrency Growth - February 12, 2019
- EUIPO Launches Forum on Using Blockchain for Counterfeiting - February 12, 2019
- Singapore’s NodeSwap Teams up with NY’s NODE40 - February 12, 2019
- New Release: Oracle Adds New Features to their Enterprise Blockchain - February 12, 2019
- Fetch.AI joins the IoT Alliance With Bosch, Cisco and Others to Accelerate IoT - February 7, 2019
- Dr. Bernard Lietaer – Monetary Visionary, Futurist, Author, RIP - February 5, 2019
- Fetch.AI To Launch Token Sale on Binance Launchpad to Build Intelligent Machine-to-Machine Economy - February 1, 2019
- Philippines Introduces New Rules for ICOs, STOs and Cryptocurrencies - January 31, 2019
- Evernym Cuts Deal with Red Cross and other Nonprofits Who Will Work with their Self-Sovereign Digital ID Solution - January 30, 2019
- Evident Proof Receives ‘Highly Commended’ Listing at the UK Innovation and Entrepreneurship Award Category at the 2018 UK IT Industry Awards - January 30, 2019
- Plato Technologies and Blackmoon Team Up to Expedite Launching of New ‘On-the-fly’ ETx’s - January 30, 2019
- Amnis Ventures backs CloseCross Raises $3 Million USD to Transform Financial Derivatives Market - January 30, 2019
- Distilled Identity and Emerge Announce Technology Partnership to Solve Global Identity Crisis for Refugees - January 22, 2019
- Satellite Project SpaceChain Concludes the First Qtum Blockchain Transaction in Space - January 22, 2019
- AAX Digital Asset Exchange to be Powered by London Stock Exchange Group Technology - January 22, 2019
- Amsterdam’s Blockport Launches Full Featured Trading Platform - January 22, 2019
- Swarm Offers Free Issuance of Security Tokens - January 21, 2019
- London’s Blockchain Conference; Blockchain Expo Global Exhibition announces expert speakers - January 21, 2019