Crypto For Merchants today announced a new safe, stable cryptocurrency point of sale payment ecosystem for merchants in the United States. With the app, called Dappos, which is hosted on the CryptoForMerchants website, merchants can now accept cryptocurrency payments from their customers at point of sale, convert those payments to dollars and transfer them to their bank accounts. No transaction fees are charged during the process, nor are there any costs or risk of devaluation. Customers pay a small network fee of a few cents when they send their payment to the network. This small fee is only there to reward cryptocurrency miners for performing the cryptographic calculations required to confirm the transaction.
“This is a game-changer” said Gerald Zuckerwar, a developer and promoter of this technology. “In the fall of last year the new USDC (US Dollar Coin) cryptocurrency stablecoin was launched and in conjunction with that we are now making the world’s first compatible POS app available for free on our secure global content delivery network.” Other cryptocurrencies did not see much merchant adoption because of their price volatility which made them unsuitable for use in commerce. “USDC has eliminated that risk” said Zuckerwar.
USDC is a new Ethereum platform cryptocurrency created by Circle and Coinbase, the founding members of the CENTRE Consortium. USDC is “issued by regulated and licensed financial institutions that maintain full reserves of the equivalent fiat currency.” Customers can purchase USDC 1:1 with fiat dollars and merchants can sell those same USDC 1:1 for fiat dollars with no loss of value and no fees via their Coinbase acccount. They can then transfer those fiat funds to their PayPal account or commercial bank account via ACH again at no cost. The issuer of USDC earns interest on the fiat dollars while in reserve which is why they can offer this service without fees.
The open source software for the technology was developed by Luca Ban in Tokyo because “there was no POS app for Ethereum to our knowledge, so we made one.” It is a web-based app that works on any computer, tablet or smartphone browser with an internet connection. Merchants “ring up” the transaction on the app which then displays a QR code that customers scan with their digital wallet. After the customer sends their payment Dappos continuously monitors the blockchain until a confirmation is received. The basic app is free for merchants to use although a more feature-rich subscription version with customer support and an uptime guarantee will be offered in the future. “We’re going to wait and let merchants tell us what features they would like to see” said Zuckerwar.
To get started merchants can download a free Merchant Guide which will provide them with a basic understanding of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology. It then walks them step by step through the setup and usage of the Dappos app. Zuckerwar suggests that merchants offer their customers an incentive to adopt the technology. Coinbase currently offers new users $10 in free Bitcoin when they sign up and purchase $100 worth of cryptocurrency. If they use a referral code the merchant also receives $10 in Bitcoin. They could offer that back to the customer as a credit which results in a total $20 incentive to the customer.
“While today transaction times take about 3-1/2 minutes to confirm, developers are hard at work to bring next generation scaling technologies to the Ethereum platform” said Zuckerwar. “I think we’ll see that roll out in 2020 just in time for increasing cryptocurrency adoption.” The 3-1/2 minutes can be reduced to about 1 minute if the customer offers a higher network fee to the miners when they transmit their funds. Some digital wallets such as Trust Wallet have this functionality and Coinbase has plans to add it to theirs. “Yes, it’s a bit slow today but for merchants that are sick and tired of credit card companies skimming huge fees it’s here – now – and it works” said Zuckerwar.
- Blockchain in healthcare market is Expected to Reach $890.5 Million by 2023 due to Increasing Number of Partnerships and Collaborations - February 12, 2019
- Coinify Introduces myCoinify, a B2C service For Individual Traders - February 12, 2019
- Yosemite X has Announced the First Open Source Public Blockchain that Operates without a Native Cryptocurrency - February 8, 2019
- Global Investment Advisory Company says much more Stable STO might merge with, or Entirely Replace IPO - February 8, 2019
- The Chamber of Digital Commerce and Blockchain Association of Canada Join for a Stronger and more Coordinated Blockchain Ecosystem - February 6, 2019
- US Merchants can now Accept Crypytocurrency Payments from their Customers, With Fee Free Cryptocurrency Point of Sale Payment Ecosystem - February 6, 2019
- Former Last.fm’s founder shakes up user privacy access with new Slant on blockchain technology - January 31, 2019
- New Report by BlockchainDefender Links Lack of Trust in Cryptocurrency Industry to Dwindling Coin Prices - January 31, 2019
- VX Network introduces a new Crypto Based, Monopoly-Style Board Game called Crypto Marble - January 30, 2019
- China Ranked first in World of Blockchain and AI Patents Being Filed – USA Runner-up - January 24, 2019
- Block.one Releases EOSIO 1.6.0, Transaction Processing Speeds Could Increase up to 35% - January 24, 2019
- First Cannabis Validation Testing Program Reaches Markets to Create Much Needed Transparency - January 23, 2019
- Eurasian Resources Group is Piloting Blockchain Based Solution on the IBM Blockchain Platform - January 21, 2019
- Coinstar to Give Consumers a Convenient and Easy Way to Buy Bitcoin at Coinstar®Kiosks - January 18, 2019
- Tech Firm IBM and MineHub Join to Build Blockchain-Based Platform for More Efficient Metals & Mining Supply Chain Solution - January 17, 2019
- Former Director of Mobile for TripAdvisor and Viator Joins KeyoCoin Team to Help Build Intuitive Mobile Booking Platform - January 10, 2019
- Project PAI Blockchain Protocol and Blockfolio Signal Beta, Create Platform for AI-Powered 3D Avatars - December 17, 2018
- Nigerian Start-up Announces Revolutionary Global Decentralized Health Platform With A Distributed Blockchain - December 15, 2018
- CEO of Panxora Warns: ‘Draconian’ Regulatory Measures Could Risk Losing Control of Crypto in US - December 13, 2018
- Lancor Scientific Links Use of a Digital Token to Global Blockchain-based Cancer Screening Registry - December 13, 2018