Open-source software and blockchain technology company Algorand has opened it’s TestNet to the public at large. Backed by an initial $66 million in invested capital from a distributed group of global investors, the Algorand protocol was designed by MIT professor, cryptography pioneer, and winner of the prestigious Turing Award, Silvio Micali.
Algorand offers several resources for businesses and developers who want to get up and running on the TestNet platform:
- Visit the Algorand developer site at developer.algorand.org to get started and access official documentation
- Participate in the public TestNet by installing an Algorand node – instructions are available here
After a successful private TestNet period with several hundred participants, the company is now inviting all businesses, developers and users to engage with TestNet and provide feedback on the quality, function, and overall experience of the TestNet protocol.
“Opening TestNet to the public is a major milestone on our journey to the open source release of the technology,” said Steve Kokinos, CEO at Algorand. “Today marks the latest step forward in our overall mission to enable the broader Algorand community to collaborate, innovate and contribute to the evolution of our public, permissionless blockchain platform.”
As a decentralized, public and permissionless platform that supports the scale, open participation and transaction finality for billions of users, Algorand will enable businesses to create applications in a scalable, secure and trustworthy way.
Prior to today’s announcement, Algorand’s TestNet had previously been limited to several hundred early participants from research, academic and partnership businesses, whose experiences and contributions have played an important role in improving the performance, scale and speed of the platform to date. Business partner TOP Network, a full-stack decentralized cloud communication service with 60 million users globally, actively participated in the Algorand TestNet and recently announced a partnership with Algorand to build next-gen layer 2 offerings for its user base.
“Our involvement in Algorand’s private TestNet offered a glimpse into the value that a mature and technically advanced blockchain such as Algorand can bring to our business,” said Steve Wei, founder and CEO of TOP Network. “We’re excited to see the platform evolve as we build. The Algorand team has run a collaborative and transparent TestNet that should only benefit from having larger, more open participation from its community.”
Based in Boston and founded by cryptography pioneer and Turing award winner Silvio Micali, Algorand is an open-source software company building technical innovation for the borderless economy with a platform that delivers decentralization, scalability and security. Algorand’s first-of-its-kind, permissionless, pure proof-of-stake protocol supports the scale, open participation, and transaction finality needed by users to build opportunity and fulfill the promise of blockchain technology.
For more information, visit https://www.algorand.com/.
- Huobi Charity Joins Rally with Blockchain Community in Global Fight Against COVID-19 - April 2, 2020
- Binance Officially Absorbs CoinMarketCap in $400 million deal - April 2, 2020
- RealT Tokenises and Sells USD One Million in Real Estate On Ethereum - March 30, 2020
- IOTA Teams Up with Eclipse Foundation to Work on Decentralised Marketplace and Identity Solutions to Help Fight Pandemic - March 30, 2020
- University of Malta Students Develop and Use Blockchain Voting Application - March 30, 2020
- Japan’s Nomura Securities and BOOSTRY Issue First Blockchain Digital Bond Offering - March 30, 2020
- Opera Rolls out Update and Expansion of its Cryptocurrency-Friendly Browser Blockchain Architecture - March 30, 2020
- Hong Kong Bank Partners with Aegis to Focus On Asset Digitalization Using Blockchain Technology - March 30, 2020
- European Union Looking to Blockchain Technology for Defense? - March 30, 2020
- Tech against Corona (COVID-19) – Dutch Enterprise Blockchain Company TYMLEZ Helps Dutch Government - March 29, 2020
- Microsoft Patents Human Activity Mining for Cryptocurrency Systems – Data Generated Based on Body Activity can be Proof-of-Work - March 27, 2020
- Binance Kicks Off $5 Million Coronavirus Relief Campaign and Donates USD $1 Million - March 27, 2020
- Medici Ventures Keiretsu Companies GrainChain and Symbiont Working Together to Expand Global Operations - March 27, 2020
- Blockchain-Fueled Entertainment Platform Ficto Launches Premium Interactive Streaming Network - March 27, 2020
- SettleMint – Belgian blockchain startup raises USD $2.09 Million for Expansion - March 27, 2020
- Exclusive Interview: Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Leader Michael Terpin Sees Light in The Covid-19 Tunnel - March 26, 2020
- Blockchain Real Estate Project Smartlands Raising Funds on Equity Crowdfunding Platform Seedrs - March 26, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Exchange OKEx Greenlights DEA Trade Token Deapcoin For Its Jobtribe and PlayMining Games - March 26, 2020
- Microasset – The International Blockchain Monetary Reserve Announces $3.48 M In Reserve Funding, New Listing on BiKi Exchange - March 25, 2020
- Social Login – KyberSwap Integrates Torus to Offer Quick and Easy Ethereum Wallet Management - March 25, 2020