Open-source software and blockchain technology company Algorand has opened it’s TestNet to the public at large. Backed by an initial $66 million in invested capital from a distributed group of global investors, the Algorand protocol was designed by MIT professor, cryptography pioneer, and winner of the prestigious Turing Award, Silvio Micali.
Algorand offers several resources for businesses and developers who want to get up and running on the TestNet platform:
- Visit the Algorand developer site at developer.algorand.org to get started and access official documentation
- Participate in the public TestNet by installing an Algorand node – instructions are available here
After a successful private TestNet period with several hundred participants, the company is now inviting all businesses, developers and users to engage with TestNet and provide feedback on the quality, function, and overall experience of the TestNet protocol.
“Opening TestNet to the public is a major milestone on our journey to the open source release of the technology,” said Steve Kokinos, CEO at Algorand. “Today marks the latest step forward in our overall mission to enable the broader Algorand community to collaborate, innovate and contribute to the evolution of our public, permissionless blockchain platform.”
As a decentralized, public and permissionless platform that supports the scale, open participation and transaction finality for billions of users, Algorand will enable businesses to create applications in a scalable, secure and trustworthy way.
Prior to today’s announcement, Algorand’s TestNet had previously been limited to several hundred early participants from research, academic and partnership businesses, whose experiences and contributions have played an important role in improving the performance, scale and speed of the platform to date. Business partner TOP Network, a full-stack decentralized cloud communication service with 60 million users globally, actively participated in the Algorand TestNet and recently announced a partnership with Algorand to build next-gen layer 2 offerings for its user base.
“Our involvement in Algorand’s private TestNet offered a glimpse into the value that a mature and technically advanced blockchain such as Algorand can bring to our business,” said Steve Wei, founder and CEO of TOP Network. “We’re excited to see the platform evolve as we build. The Algorand team has run a collaborative and transparent TestNet that should only benefit from having larger, more open participation from its community.”
Based in Boston and founded by cryptography pioneer and Turing award winner Silvio Micali, Algorand is an open-source software company building technical innovation for the borderless economy with a platform that delivers decentralization, scalability and security. Algorand’s first-of-its-kind, permissionless, pure proof-of-stake protocol supports the scale, open participation, and transaction finality needed by users to build opportunity and fulfill the promise of blockchain technology.
For more information, visit https://www.algorand.com/.
- ArcBlock Partners with Ride-Sharing Service GoFun to Develop Services and DApps on Blockchain - November 20, 2019
- Hacktivist Phineas Fisher Cracks Cayman National Bank and Trust – Offers $100,000 Bitcoin/Monero Bounty To Other to Hack Banks, Big Companies - November 20, 2019
- Graph Blockchain to Acquire Shroom Street – Cracking Psychedelics Market - November 20, 2019
- OpEd: Burned By Bitwala – Visa Card Money Gone When Wavecrest Wound Down - November 19, 2019
- Chinese Military Eyes Blockchain Technology for Rewards Programme – Boosting Training and Gamifying System - November 18, 2019
- FinCEN Boss: American Regulators to Strictly Enforce AML in Crypto Industry - November 18, 2019
- Visa’s Rolls Out New Blockchain LucidiTEE – Tackles Concerns related to misuse of sensitive user data, when shared with third-parties. - November 18, 2019
- Utrust Joins Forces with Alternative Airlines for Flight Bookings with Crypto - November 13, 2019
- Dark Web Drug Dealer Pleads Guilty To Using Cryptocurrency to Launder More Than $19 Million - November 13, 2019
- Dutch Police Bust CEO of Blockchain Game Firm, Komodore64 – €78 million Gone? - November 13, 2019
- Celsius Hits over $4 Billion in Crypto Loans – Leading the Industry - November 12, 2019
- Coinbase Introduces Staking Rewards on Tezos - November 6, 2019
- Volvo Cars to implement blockchain traceability of cobalt used in electric car batteries - November 6, 2019
- EU-Funded Acceleration Project, LEDGER, Offering Support Services and Up to €200k Equity-Free for Blockchain Data Governance Projects - November 6, 2019
- Global Financial System Regulators – the Financial Action Task Force – Issue Draft Guidance on Digital Identity - November 5, 2019
- David Chaum Releases XX Alpha Messenger Promising Unprecedented User Privacy - November 5, 2019
- Æternity Blockchain Developers Plan to Take On Ethereum With Final Hardfork – Handing over Governance to the Community - November 5, 2019
- Researchers Claim Cross-border B2B Blockchain Transactions set to Explode to $4.4 Trillion by 2024 - November 5, 2019
- Global Companies Unite to Unveil Comprehensive Framework for Tokenization – It’s About Time - November 5, 2019
- Microsoft Kicks Off Enterprise-ready Crypto Token Platform On Azure – Predicts Tokenization Is A Pillar Of The Coming Revolution In Multi-Party Applications That Blockchain Technology Ushered In - November 5, 2019