Morgan Rockcoon, CEO of Bitcoin Inc, of was sentenced today by U.S. District Judge Anthony J. Battaglia to 21 months in prison for wire fraud and operating an unlicensed money transmitting business. Battaglia also ordered Rockcoons to forfeit $80,600 in illicit profits.
On October 21, 2018, Morgan Rockcoons tweeted at Donald Trump, after the president’s sweeping visit to Nevada before the midterms:
Thanks for coming to Elko, we are building a brand new MegaCity here that will provide millions of jobs for Americans in the immediate future thanks to Bitcoin, AI and Nevada. @Bitcointopia @CydoniaCity
— Morgan (@NODEfather) October 21, 2018
Seven days later Rockcoons was arrested by Homeland Security and charged with an elaborate crypto fraud under which prosecutors say Rockcoons made almost $100,000 selling land he didn’t own to crypto enthusiasts.
He’s been in jail ever since awaiting trial.
Rockcoons pleaded guilty on March 7, 2019, admitting that he operated a Bitcoin exchange without registering with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) of the U.S. Department of Treasury as well as admitting he devised a scheme to defraud individuals in connection with the purported sale of real estate in Elko County, Nevada, that he did not own.
More from the press release:
Prior to his 2018 arrest, Rockcoons was indicted on November 8, 2017 for operating the unlicensed money transmitting business. He was arrested on that charge on February 9, 2018, and he was released on bond pending trial. In spring 2018, while on pretrial release, Rockcoons began promoting Bitcointopia on the internet and via social media. A purported real estate development in the desert in Elko County, Nevada, Rockcoons touted Bitcointopia as a place where bitcoin is “legal tender.” On the website, Rockcoons offered parcels of land for sale for Bitcoin, claiming: “The land is currently owned by Bitcointopia, Inc. corporation.” Rockcoons further stated, “500-1,000 Acre plots are for sale for 0.5 BTC per acre.” Victims who sent Rockcoons Bitcoin never received their title to land as promised.
To date, agents have identified at least 10 victims of Rockcoons’ fraud.
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019
- Bitcoin Inc. CEO Morgan Rockcoon Busted – 21 Months in Prison and Fines - June 3, 2019
- Reshaping a Nation’s Logistics Sector: Singaporean Blockchain Company PLMP Cuts Multimillion Dollar Deal With Indonesia - June 3, 2019
- Swisscom TV Opens Blockchain-based Art Gallery - June 3, 2019
- Canadian Messaging Service Kik Burns $5 Million Fighting SEC Over Utility Tokens, Now Raising $5 Million More to Continue Battle - June 3, 2019
- Salesforce Introduces CRM Blockchain Platform For Selected Clients - June 3, 2019
- Block.one Plans to Tackle Pitfalls of Social Media With New Blockchain Community Called “Voice” - June 3, 2019
- CasperLabs and Ethereum on Proof of Stake Protocol at CryptoChicks in Toronto, family ran Hack-A-Thon for blockchain family - June 3, 2019
- World Economic Forum Inaugurates Global Blockchain Council to Address Lack of Well-Defined Rules for Working with Blockchain - May 29, 2019
- India’s First Blockchain Powered VoD Platform ‘myNK’ Launches At Cannes Film Festival - May 27, 2019
- New Zealand’s Cryptopia Exchange Packs It In – Announces Liquidation - May 15, 2019
- Canadian Blockchain Expert Alex Tapscott and NextBlock Global Limited to Pay $1M for Misleading Investors - May 15, 2019
- ObEN Launches AI Newscaster With 3D “Satoshi” Avatar to Deliver Content via PAI News App - May 14, 2019
- Leading Freelance Platform Moonlighting Announces First Blockchain Integration Partner – Teams with HireVibes For EOSIO Solution - May 14, 2019
- Polish-UK Blockchain Company Billon awarded €2 million euro from EU to build DLT Document System - May 14, 2019
- City of Belfast and Colu Team up to Create City Loyalty Token to Boost Local Economy and Environment - May 8, 2019
- Fidelity Investments – to Launch Cryptocurrency Trading Desk Soon – Recent Report Shows Clients Want To Trade Digital Assets - May 8, 2019
- Consensys Accelerates Blockchain Investment Portfolio, Consolidates Investment Arms - May 8, 2019
Also published on Medium.