MIT Professor Silvio Micali‘s Algorand project, via the Algorand Foundation, will hold its first in a series of Dutch Auctions out of Singapore on On June 19th, 2019. These auctions will allow Algos, the native tokens of the Algorand platform, to enter circulation via a mechanism where the market determines the fair price. This inaugural auction also marks the launch of the Algorand network.
The co-inventor of zero-knowledge proofs, Micali is an Italian computer scientist at MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory and a professor of computer science in MIT’s Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science since 1983. His research centers on the theory of cryptography and information security. He won the Turing award together with Shafi Goldwasser in 2012 and the Gödel Prize in 1993.
The auction also signifies the launch of the Algorand network, which validates the maturation of MIT professor and Turing Award winner Silvio Micali’s vision to create a more robust and efficient blockchain platform that solves the blockchain trilemma and will ultimately transform the underlying technology of our global financial systems.
Algorand’s TestNet has demonstrated the platform’s ability to solve the blockchain trilemma with key milestones including:
- Demonstrating decentralization -TestNet has over 500 nodes deployed around the world
- Showcasing scalability – In a series of performance tests with 10,000 globally distributed participants, TestNet consistently reaches over 1,000 transactions per second (tps) with five second latency.
- Approved Security– Algorand has recently undergone security audits from Trail of Bits and NCC.
Additionally, a number of organizations have been actively engaged with the Algorand platform in its TestNet phase including Top Network, AssetBlock, Otoy Inc. and Syncsort. These organizations are leveraging Algorand to build new solutions for the borderless economy.
The Algorand Foundation believes in the value of the Algorand platform, the Algo, and the potential for everyone to have an opportunity as we enter a new, borderless economy. With a goal of investing in the sustainability and performance of that economy, the foundation has also announced a refund policy for auction participants. Should any participant be dissatisfied with their purchase of Algos, they may return their Algos back to the foundation one-year post-purchase at up to 90 percent of the value paid.
For the first auction, 25 million Algos will be available at a starting price of $10.00 USD and a reserve price of $0.10 USD. The auction will last for 4,000 blocks (about 5 hours), all bids will be posted to and processed from the Algorand blockchain for transparency and Algos will be distributed after the close of the auction. Details from the foundation regarding token dynamics can be found at algorand.foundation/token-dynamics.
The Algorand Foundation invites eligible participants to register and join the auction.
The auction starts Wednesday, June 19, 2019 at 6PM Singapore Standard Time.
The auction will be conducted on the Algorand blockchain at this url.
To participate in the first Algorand Foundation auction, users need to complete the registration process, including creating an account, completing compliance checks, funding a USD wallet and creating or importing an Algo wallet. These steps may take several days to finalize before bidding is possible. To begin the registration process, click here.
Please note that participation in auctions is not possible for the following excluded jurisdictions: United States of America and its territories, Canada, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Cuba, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Republic of Crimea, People’s Republic of China, and jurisdictions in which the auctions and/or trading of the tokens themselves are prohibited, restricted or unauthorized in any form or manner whether in full or in part under the laws, regulatory requirements or rules in such jurisdiction.
- Canadian Blockchain-Energised Company VitalHub Announces Deployment of COVID-19 Electronic Screening Tool for Long Term Care - April 8, 2020
- Blockchain Powered Immuno-Oncology Company Mateon Claims Anti-Malarial Drug Called Artemisinin, Derived from Asian Medicine Can Help Fight Covid-19 - April 8, 2020
- Auto Manufacturer Tesla To Use Blockchain Technology to Speed Up Shipping Supply Chain - April 8, 2020
- BlockConf DIGITAL Announces Epic 48-hours Online Blockchain Conference - April 7, 2020
- Global Virtual Earth Day Event Planned for April 22nd EST From The Blockchain for Social Impact Coalition - April 7, 2020
- ConsenSys’ Health Division Kicks Off STOP COVID-19 International Ethereum Hackathon – April 13, 2020 - April 7, 2020
- Bitfinex Cryptocurrency Exchange to Offer Staking Rewards Program - April 6, 2020
- European Commission Backed Blockchain Organisation INATBA Joins WEF COVID Action Platform to Address Global Challenges - April 6, 2020
- Blockchain-Fueled Company Mateon Develops Phase 3 Clinical Drug Candidate, Against COVID-19 – OT-101 - April 6, 2020
- US Lawyers Go After Cryptocurrency Ecosystem with Multiple Class Action Suits Against Exchanges and Issuers - April 6, 2020
- Huobi Charity Joins Rally with Blockchain Community in Global Fight Against COVID-19 - April 2, 2020
- Binance Officially Absorbs CoinMarketCap in $400 million deal - April 2, 2020
- RealT Tokenises and Sells USD One Million in Real Estate On Ethereum - March 30, 2020
- IOTA Teams Up with Eclipse Foundation to Work on Decentralised Marketplace and Identity Solutions to Help Fight Pandemic - March 30, 2020
- University of Malta Students Develop and Use Blockchain Voting Application - March 30, 2020
- Japan’s Nomura Securities and BOOSTRY Issue First Blockchain Digital Bond Offering - March 30, 2020
- Opera Rolls out Update and Expansion of its Cryptocurrency-Friendly Browser Blockchain Architecture - March 30, 2020
- Hong Kong Bank Partners with Aegis to Focus On Asset Digitalization Using Blockchain Technology - March 30, 2020
- European Union Looking to Blockchain Technology for Defense? - March 30, 2020
- Tech against Corona (COVID-19) – Dutch Enterprise Blockchain Company TYMLEZ Helps Dutch Government - March 29, 2020
Also published on Medium.