Australian Energy trading company Power Ledger has partnered with a subsidiary of one of Austria’s top five largest energy utilities Energie Steiermark, to deploy a peer-to-peer (P2P) energy trading network in and around Graz.
E-NEXT i with the NEXT-Incubator, the innovation arm of Energie Steiermark, will make Power Ledger’s energy trading platform available to an initial 10 Graz households, enabling those with rooftop solar panels to sell excess renewable energy to their neighbors.
Graz is home to Austria’s Smart City flagship project, which involves exploring new energy technologies to meet zero emission and carbon neutral targets by 2050.
“Power Ledger’s technology will help drive the city’s transition towards a zero-carbon energy future, while also giving Graz residents a monetary incentive to use renewable energy,” said Power Ledger Co-founder and Director David Martin.
As a blockchain-backed platform, the project will ensure data is anonymous, complying with the European Union’s strict privacy requirements as outlined in the GDPR legislation.
“Power Ledger’s partnership with E-NEXT breaks new ground, not just in the transition to a cleaner energy future but also in the way blockchain technology can be integrated into existing legislative regimes through the adoption of innovative business processes,” added Martin.
Following the initial deployment and validation phase, the project has the potential to expand to more households in Graz and across Austria’s energy network.
“Blockchain technology has the potential to disrupt a lot of markets – but as an innovation, we also think it offers new business opportunities and the chance to generate added value for our customers,” said E-NEXT project partner and innovation manager Mathias Schaffer.
Power Ledger’s blockchain-enabled energy trading platform is currently being trialed in several places across Australia as well as in Thailand, Japan, and the United States.
Power Ledger is an Australian technology company that has developed a blockchain-enabled renewable energy trading platform. Power Ledger’s technology won Sir Richard Branson’s global Extreme Tech Challenge award and co-founder Dr. Jemma Green is a finalist in the EY World Entrepreneur Of The Year awards. The company has built a series of products to enable energy trading, renewable asset financing and more efficient carbon and renewable energy credit markets.
E-NEXT is a subsidiary of the Austrian power utility Energie Steiermark AG who developed the NEXT-Incubator. It is a tool to not only search for new technologies & solutions but to be able to place them within the corporate in the form of pilot projects, cooperations and in some cases investments. Its parent company Energie Steiermark AG believes in stability, continuity and enjoys a decades-long success story, with a strong drive towards innovation. E-NEXT is currently partnering with Plug and Play in Silicon Valley to push innovation even further.
- Bitpay Opens Up Doors For Ethereum Payments - September 16, 2019
- Neufund Launches Blockchain-Driven Equity Token Sale for Retail Investors Out of Lichtenstein - September 16, 2019
- London Blockchain Accelerator Academy Looking for Partners - September 13, 2019
- Blockchain Startup Blockstack Raises a Whopping $23 Million In SEC-Qualified Reg A+ Token Offering - September 12, 2019
- France Vows to Block Facebook Libra Cryptocurrency in Europe - September 12, 2019
- R3 and Mastercard Team Up Mastercard to Build Overseas Payments System Build on Blockchain - September 12, 2019
- ConsenSys Officially Joins Hyperledger Project – Adding Public Blockchain Capability to Hyperledger - September 11, 2019
- Telegram Open Network Labs Releases Development Suite for TON Blockchain - September 11, 2019
- Whale Alert: USD One Billion+ BTC Was Transferred in One Transaction Last Week - September 11, 2019
- New Professional API Trading Program AlgoX Prime API Launched by eToroX - September 11, 2019
- Bitcoin.com’s Roger Ver Steps in to Operate Node on Cryptographer David Chaum’s New Elixxer Project - September 11, 2019
- Seychelles Heats Up With a First for a National Stock Exchange – MERJ Exchange Goes Live with Tokenized IPO - September 10, 2019
- Computing Legend Steve Wozniak To Launch Blockchain Energy Project – EFFORCE - September 10, 2019
- Hollywood Star Wesley Snipes To Tokenize $25 Million USD Movie Fund with Liechtenstein Blockchain Innovator LCX - September 9, 2019
- Netki Extends TransactID Solution For FATF “Travel Rule” Compliance - September 9, 2019
- Market Demand For Sophisticated Crypto Trading Methods Drives Singapore’s Broctagon Fintech Group To New Heights – Pushing Them Past $5 million - September 5, 2019
- London-based Custodian For Digital Assets, Copper, Reach $500m In Transactions In Just Three Months - September 5, 2019
- UN Meeting: Gibraltar Lawyers Call For A Global Regulatory Framework For Cryptocurrencies - September 4, 2019
- Michael Terpin’s BitAngels Investor Network Partners with Bitcoin Bay to Expand Blockchain Investment Ecosystem in Toronto, Canada - September 3, 2019
- Coinanalyst Launches Socializer – New Communication Tool - September 3, 2019
Also published on Medium.