Australian Energy trading company Power Ledger has partnered with a subsidiary of one of Austria’s top five largest energy utilities Energie Steiermark, to deploy a peer-to-peer (P2P) energy trading network in and around Graz.
E-NEXT i with the NEXT-Incubator, the innovation arm of Energie Steiermark, will make Power Ledger’s energy trading platform available to an initial 10 Graz households, enabling those with rooftop solar panels to sell excess renewable energy to their neighbors.
Graz is home to Austria’s Smart City flagship project, which involves exploring new energy technologies to meet zero emission and carbon neutral targets by 2050.
“Power Ledger’s technology will help drive the city’s transition towards a zero-carbon energy future, while also giving Graz residents a monetary incentive to use renewable energy,” said Power Ledger Co-founder and Director David Martin.
As a blockchain-backed platform, the project will ensure data is anonymous, complying with the European Union’s strict privacy requirements as outlined in the GDPR legislation.
“Power Ledger’s partnership with E-NEXT breaks new ground, not just in the transition to a cleaner energy future but also in the way blockchain technology can be integrated into existing legislative regimes through the adoption of innovative business processes,” added Martin.
Following the initial deployment and validation phase, the project has the potential to expand to more households in Graz and across Austria’s energy network.
“Blockchain technology has the potential to disrupt a lot of markets – but as an innovation, we also think it offers new business opportunities and the chance to generate added value for our customers,” said E-NEXT project partner and innovation manager Mathias Schaffer.
Power Ledger’s blockchain-enabled energy trading platform is currently being trialed in several places across Australia as well as in Thailand, Japan, and the United States.
Power Ledger is an Australian technology company that has developed a blockchain-enabled renewable energy trading platform. Power Ledger’s technology won Sir Richard Branson’s global Extreme Tech Challenge award and co-founder Dr. Jemma Green is a finalist in the EY World Entrepreneur Of The Year awards. The company has built a series of products to enable energy trading, renewable asset financing and more efficient carbon and renewable energy credit markets.
E-NEXT is a subsidiary of the Austrian power utility Energie Steiermark AG who developed the NEXT-Incubator. It is a tool to not only search for new technologies & solutions but to be able to place them within the corporate in the form of pilot projects, cooperations and in some cases investments. Its parent company Energie Steiermark AG believes in stability, continuity and enjoys a decades-long success story, with a strong drive towards innovation. E-NEXT is currently partnering with Plug and Play in Silicon Valley to push innovation even further.
- OneFeather and BlocPal to Provide First Nations with Digital Financial Services - July 23, 2019
- Government Committee Wants Total Ban on Cryptocurrencies in India - July 23, 2019
- Judge Refuses to Dismiss Historic $224 Million SIM Swap Lawsuit by Crypto Luminary Michael Terpin Against Telco Giant AT&T Mobility - July 23, 2019
- RENBDO: First ICO Approved by European Commission – 70 Percent Funding From EU - July 22, 2019
- Chinese Government Blockchain Standardized Certification Received by Lenovo, Alipay, and Aelf - July 22, 2019
- KPMG Teams Up With Tomia, Microsoft And R3 To Create A Near Real-time Settlement Network For Telecom Companies - July 22, 2019
- Blockchain-Based ‘Lunar Registry’ Launched - July 22, 2019
- Daimler launches hardware Car Wallet with RIDDLE&CODE - July 22, 2019
- Ugandan President to Explore use of Blockchain to Tackle Counterfeit Drugs - July 22, 2019
- Blockchain-Based Travala.com Teams Up with Dash For Hotel Booking Payments - July 18, 2019
- SEC And FINRA Approves First Reg A+ Token Offerings - July 18, 2019
- Tokinex Tolken Sale Sells out in 35 Seconds - July 18, 2019
- 18 Organisations Launch The Convergence Alliance To Enable A New Open Data Economy Built On The Decentralized Web - July 9, 2019
- Bittrex Acquires Tradedash - July 3, 2019
- Korea’s Cube Systems Rolls Out New Blockchain eCommerce Platform - July 3, 2019
- Clinlogix Joins ALTEN Calsoft in Launching Blockchain for Clinical Trials - July 3, 2019
- Binance Charity forms alliance with 46 companies to unveil a stablecoin for the alleviation of period poverty - July 3, 2019
- Nestlé Breaks from IBM Food Trust Blockchain Group for New Milk Supply Chain Trial - July 3, 2019
- Tokeny Solutions Digital Asset Platform Gets €5 Million Backing from Euronext - July 3, 2019
- Blockchain Venture Capital Funding Reaches $822 Million in 2019 - July 1, 2019
Also published on Medium.