Yesterday, the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) announced they have decided to postpone a final decision on three bitcoin ETF applications.
Two of the three ETF proposals were submitted earlier this year by Bitwise Asset Management in NYSE who also claimed that 95 percent of all Bitcoin trading volumes were faked in their bid to convince the SEC they would be legitimate in a sea of allegedly lies. Wash trading is also a form of displaying false volumes, large sales and purchase orders are placed in order books (by one party) that can be struck away by others.
The third has been submitted by investment companies VanEck / SolidX under the CBOE BZX Exchange.
The applications of Bitwise were submitted in February 2019 and those of VanEck and SolidX in June 2019. From that moment, the SEC has a total of 240 days to reach a final decision but there are interim deadlines where the SEC is supposed to make a decision, such as yesterday, but they are almost always postponed to reach that full 240 days.
Which is now the case. The following deadlines are on October 13, 2019, and October 18, 2019, however, these deadlines are sometimes events such as the shutdown of the US government which happened earlier this year when Trump shut the doors.
With Exchange Trade Funds (ETF), investors do not have to buy bitcoin directly and do not have to create a wallet, but can indirectly speculate on a price movement. An ETF is a tradable security that typically represents a basket of securities, shares, bonds, commodities and/or currencies. According to many cryptocurrency experts, accepting a bitcoin ETF can lead to more attention for bitcoin among institutional investors and a positive decision by the SEC confirms the legitimacy of bitcoin.
- U.S. Lawmakers Pondering “Crypto-Currency Act of 2020” - January 17, 2020
- New Blockchain-based Visa Token Service Set To Launch in 2020 – Set to Reach $1 Trillion - January 17, 2020
- Germany’s New Shore Invest Launches STO Ship Financing Platform – Tokenised Fractional Ownership - January 16, 2020
- Open Source Luminary Marc Fleury Enters Crypto Arena with Announcement of New Crypto Asset Class and Continuous Token Offering Sale - January 16, 2020
- UN Warns Public Not To Attend North Korea Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Conference 2020 - January 16, 2020
- Fiat-to-Crypto Gateway Solution, Banxa, Raises $2 Million USD Series A Round Led By NGC Ventures - January 15, 2020
- United Africa Blockchain Association Plans to Fire Up Blockchain Adoption - January 14, 2020
- Thai Actor and Victim’s Bitcoin Buddy Implicated in Kidnapping and Ransom of Singaporean National in Thailand - January 14, 2020
- Securitize Runs First-Ever IRA Investment In Digital Securities - January 14, 2020
- NBA Star Spencer Dinwiddie “Tokenizing” His Contract With or Without NBA Green Light - January 13, 2020
- European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde Says ECB Bullish on Digital Currencies - January 13, 2020
- Canadian Crypto Company Voyager Digital Completes Acquisition of US Registered Broker-Dealer - January 13, 2020
- Cogito, Hong Kong-Based Entertainment Studio, Launches Decentralised Autonomous Virtual Horse Racing Game - January 9, 2020
- Blockchain Bandwagon Company Longfin CEO Settles with US SEC for $400,000 - January 7, 2020
- Winklevoss Brothers Invest in $5 million Seed Round for TaxBit - January 7, 2020
- Securrency Secures $17.65 million in Series A funding round Led by WisdomTree - January 7, 2020
- Measure Protocol Backed with £2m in New Funding for Blockchain-Powered Person-Based Data Marketplace - January 7, 2020
- The Next Wave of Crypto – Traction is Key – And Mobile Mining is Gaining Massive Adoption - January 2, 2020
- Google Reverses Metamask Ban from Playstore - January 1, 2020
- Bankex Launches Token Exchange Engine in Telegram - December 31, 2019
Also published on Medium.