Yesterday, the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) announced they have decided to postpone a final decision on three bitcoin ETF applications.
Two of the three ETF proposals were submitted earlier this year by Bitwise Asset Management in NYSE who also claimed that 95 percent of all Bitcoin trading volumes were faked in their bid to convince the SEC they would be legitimate in a sea of allegedly lies. Wash trading is also a form of displaying false volumes, large sales and purchase orders are placed in order books (by one party) that can be struck away by others.
The third has been submitted by investment companies VanEck / SolidX under the CBOE BZX Exchange.
The applications of Bitwise were submitted in February 2019 and those of VanEck and SolidX in June 2019. From that moment, the SEC has a total of 240 days to reach a final decision but there are interim deadlines where the SEC is supposed to make a decision, such as yesterday, but they are almost always postponed to reach that full 240 days.
Which is now the case. The following deadlines are on October 13, 2019, and October 18, 2019, however, these deadlines are sometimes events such as the shutdown of the US government which happened earlier this year when Trump shut the doors.
With Exchange Trade Funds (ETF), investors do not have to buy bitcoin directly and do not have to create a wallet, but can indirectly speculate on a price movement. An ETF is a tradable security that typically represents a basket of securities, shares, bonds, commodities and/or currencies. According to many cryptocurrency experts, accepting a bitcoin ETF can lead to more attention for bitcoin among institutional investors and a positive decision by the SEC confirms the legitimacy of bitcoin.
- Utrust Joins Forces with Alternative Airlines for Flight Bookings with Crypto - November 13, 2019
- Dark Web Drug Dealer Pleads Guilty To Using Cryptocurrency to Launder More Than $19 Million - November 13, 2019
- Dutch Police Bust CEO of Blockchain Game Firm, Komodore64 – €78 million Gone? - November 13, 2019
- Celsius Hits over $4 Billion in Crypto Loans – Leading the Industry - November 12, 2019
- Coinbase Introduces Staking Rewards on Tezos - November 6, 2019
- Volvo Cars to implement blockchain traceability of cobalt used in electric car batteries - November 6, 2019
- EU-Funded Acceleration Project, LEDGER, Offering Support Services and Up to €200k Equity-Free for Blockchain Data Governance Projects - November 6, 2019
- Global Financial System Regulators – the Financial Action Task Force – Issue Draft Guidance on Digital Identity - November 5, 2019
- David Chaum Releases XX Alpha Messenger Promising Unprecedented User Privacy - November 5, 2019
- Æternity Blockchain Developers Plan to Take On Ethereum With Final Hardfork – Handing over Governance to the Community - November 5, 2019
- Researchers Claim Cross-border B2B Blockchain Transactions set to Explode to $4.4 Trillion by 2024 - November 5, 2019
- Global Companies Unite to Unveil Comprehensive Framework for Tokenization – It’s About Time - November 5, 2019
- Microsoft Kicks Off Enterprise-ready Crypto Token Platform On Azure – Predicts Tokenization Is A Pillar Of The Coming Revolution In Multi-Party Applications That Blockchain Technology Ushered In - November 5, 2019
- Polish-British Blockchain Company Billon to Digitise Euro in Deal with Raiffeisen Bank International - November 5, 2019
- 500.com Limited Releases Intel on Blockchain Technology for China’s Lottery Industry - November 4, 2019
- Oxfam, Etherisc, and Aon Find Success with First Blockchain-Based Agricultural Insurance Policies for Smallholder Farmers in Sri Lanka - November 4, 2019
- Interview: Brock Pierce and Two Prime’s Alexander S. Blum - November 4, 2019
- Samsung Bullish on Blockchain – Pushing for Developers on New Samsung Blockchain Platform SDK - November 1, 2019
- Busted: SEC and CFTC Nail First Global Credit – a Swiss Security-Based Bitcoin Swaps Dealer That Allegedly Aimed at American Investors - November 1, 2019
- Zilliqa and Oxford Women in Computer Science Society Join to Bring Diversity to Blockchain Sector - November 1, 2019
Also published on Medium.