Yesterday, the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) announced they have decided to postpone a final decision on three bitcoin ETF applications.
Two of the three ETF proposals were submitted earlier this year by Bitwise Asset Management in NYSE who also claimed that 95 percent of all Bitcoin trading volumes were faked in their bid to convince the SEC they would be legitimate in a sea of allegedly lies. Wash trading is also a form of displaying false volumes, large sales and purchase orders are placed in order books (by one party) that can be struck away by others.
The third has been submitted by investment companies VanEck / SolidX under the CBOE BZX Exchange.
The applications of Bitwise were submitted in February 2019 and those of VanEck and SolidX in June 2019. From that moment, the SEC has a total of 240 days to reach a final decision but there are interim deadlines where the SEC is supposed to make a decision, such as yesterday, but they are almost always postponed to reach that full 240 days.
Which is now the case. The following deadlines are on October 13, 2019, and October 18, 2019, however, these deadlines are sometimes events such as the shutdown of the US government which happened earlier this year when Trump shut the doors.
With Exchange Trade Funds (ETF), investors do not have to buy bitcoin directly and do not have to create a wallet, but can indirectly speculate on a price movement. An ETF is a tradable security that typically represents a basket of securities, shares, bonds, commodities and/or currencies. According to many cryptocurrency experts, accepting a bitcoin ETF can lead to more attention for bitcoin among institutional investors and a positive decision by the SEC confirms the legitimacy of bitcoin.
- Bitcoin Legend Charlie Shrem and BLOCKTV Team up to Bring Untold Stories to the Screen - February 26, 2020
- KLM To Use Blockchain to Streamline Financial Processes Thanks to Amsterdam-based Unchain and R3 - February 25, 2020
- Scottish Blockchain Company Hypervine Signs with European Space Agency Data To Improve Efficiency And Transparency For The World’s Mining Industry - February 22, 2020
- Loyyal Signs Three Year Production Agreement with The Emirates Group for Use of Blockchain Loyalty and Rewards Platform - February 21, 2020
- Enjin Platform Enables Game Developers to Integrate Blockchain Assets Without Blockchain Coding Experience - February 18, 2020
- Blockchain Project Cashaa Protecting Crypto Companies to Survive Fifth Money Laundering Directive and New FCA Rules in 2020 - February 8, 2020
- US SEC Boss Hester Peirce Suggests Three Year “Safe Harbour Period” For Token Sales - February 6, 2020
- China’s Hyperchain Plans to Take on Coronavirus With Blockchain-Fueled Donation Platform - February 6, 2020
- Blockstack Proposes Using Bitcoin, Novel ‘Proof of Transfer’ To Accelerate A Truly User-Owned Web 3.0 - February 6, 2020
- Hack Blockchain To The MAX! €15.000 Prizepool at MAXathon in Berlin April 18-19, 2020 - February 6, 2020
- Chiliz And Enjin To Launch Blockchain Collectibles Using NFTs For The Likes of Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, Atlético de Madrid and West Ham - February 6, 2020
- MIT Researchers Claim to Boost Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Blockchain Transactions By 4x with New ‘Spider’ Routing Scheme - February 4, 2020
- Canada’s Blockchain Intelligence Group Signs USD$540,000 Contract with United States Feds - February 4, 2020
- The United States Marshals Services to Auction 4,040.54069820 Bitcoin – USD$37 Million - February 4, 2020
- OpenLegacy Project Gets $20m Strategic Investment from Japan’s SBI Holdings – Focus on Blockchain - February 4, 2020
- Fastest Growing and Highest Revenue Mobile Messenger App in the World, Japan’s LINE to Launch LINK Cryptocurrency - February 3, 2020
- Insolar to Launch MainNet on February 3, 2020 – Debuts Insolar’s New XNS Token - February 3, 2020
- Blockchain-Based Social Media App Vid with VI Tokens – To Launch April 1, 2020 – After VC $10 million USD Investment in 2019 - February 3, 2020
- UK FCA Licenses BCB Group as First Crypto Company to be Regulated as Authorised Payment Institution - January 31, 2020
- Virgil Griffith Pleads Innocent in Blockchain North Korea Event Case – Faces Up To 20 Years in Prison if Convicted - January 31, 2020
Also published on Medium.