Ipreo and Symbiont announced today that they are creating a new company to overhaul antiquated and costly manual processing in the $3 trillion global syndicated loans market. By integrating Ipreo’s latest loan settlement platform and Symbiont’s smart contracts, the new business will deliver fully-automated settlement and maintenance, generating tens of millions of dollars in potential annual savings.
Settlement periods of 20 business days or more threaten the continued growth of the loan market. For the sell-side, the delays tie up precious capital. For the buy-side, settlement uncertainty confounds cash management and necessitates costly credit lines.
Ipreo is the only technology provider to enable new issue workflow across the equity, fixed income, municipal and syndicated loan markets. The top 10 bank arrangers use its existing syndicated loan platform, while the top 20 tier-one investment banks are clients of the firm.
Ipreo will contribute LTS, a recently developed loan settlement platform that incorporates a patented process. Its innovative solution brings securities lending to the loan market, facilitating borrows when sellers don’t have the loan asset available for scheduled settlement.
Symbiont is contributing its blockchain expertise and development of ‘SmartLoans’, the first smart contracts for the loan market. Smart contracts eliminate the need for third-party intervention, in contrast to token-based blockchain efforts that merely provide incremental efficiencies to the ledger system currently used.
“We are delighted to be working with Symbiont to create an industry-wide solution to the loan settlement problem,” said Kevin Marcus, President and COO of Ipreo. “With LTS, we addressed the legal and process problems that have plagued loan trade settlement. Our joint venture with Symbiont marries this solution with the transformative power of blockchain technology.”
The new business, to be named, will be headed by Joe Salerno, a 25-year industry veteran who currently heads loan trade settlement at Ipreo. Robby Dermody, co-founder of Symbiont, will be COO.
“There’s a lot of talk about blockchain but little evidence yet of digital transformation on the front lines, so it’s great to lead the way,” said Mark Smith, CEO and co-founder of Symbiont. “Ipreo is a perfect partner. Unlike some of the more vocal blockchain start-ups, it has an established track record and already plays a vital role in the smooth operation of the loan markets.”
“This business will benefit the entire syndicated loan market, from issuers through investors and regulators. Not only will it help the sell-side save tens of millions in capital costs, but loan portfolio managers will no longer have to endure the drag on yield caused by large cash buckets and costly credit lines,” said Salerno.
Syndicated loans have a record unsettled exposure of more than $70 billion, over twice that of high-yield bonds.
- CEO Patrick M. Byrne Resigns From Overstock Over ‘Deep State’ Comment and Affair with a Russian Spy – Stock Rises - August 22, 2019
- Telx Technologies Launches World’s First Cryptocurrency Sim Card Wallet And Phone Number - August 22, 2019
- Chainalysis Launches Real-Time Alerts for Suspicious Transactions For 15 Cryptocurrencies - August 22, 2019
- Factom Launches New Stablecoin called PegNet Stablecoin - August 22, 2019
- HitBTC Cryptocurrency Exchange Offers Massive Rate Cuts - August 22, 2019
- American Classic Beer Miller Lite Teams Up with Blockchain Vatom Labs to Create New Customer Experiences - August 21, 2019
- WordProof and WORBLI Partner To Bring Online Content Transparency Using Blockchain Technology - August 21, 2019
- Polkadot Cuts Deal with Blockchain – 41M Wallets to get Polkadot.Network DOTS - August 20, 2019
- David Chaum’s New Quantum-Resistant Digital Currency, Praxxis, Has Arrived - August 20, 2019
- New Satoshi on the Block Plans a ‘Reveal’ – Bitcoin Community Responds - August 19, 2019
- Binance Announces Open Blockchain Project ‘Venus’ – Calls on Governments, Companies and Organizations to Develop Localized Stablecoins - August 19, 2019
- Blockchain-Fueled VeganNation raises $10 million for Vegan Global Marketplace - August 19, 2019
- Fight to Flame – Mike Tyson Denies Issuing Token and Working With Fight2Fame - August 17, 2019
- Bitcoin Wealth is Almost 50 Times More Concentrated than Global Wealth According to PARSIQ Research - August 16, 2019
- Graph Blockchain Signs LOI to Acquire Cyberanking Ltd. an Esports Company - August 16, 2019
- Blockchain Moves Into The US’s Largest Oil Fields With Data Gumbo - August 16, 2019
- BlockStar Teams Up With Cycling Apparel Brand De Marchi to Auction Fausto Coppi’s Cycling Jersey - August 16, 2019
- Zcoin Available to Five Million Merchants in Thailand - August 16, 2019
- Republic Partners with Althea to Launch First-Ever Compliant Security Airdrop for Retail Investors in the U.S. and Abroad - August 14, 2019
- Mark Cuban’s Dallas Mavericks Basketball Team Join Up With Bitpay To Accept Bitcoin For Tickets And Gear - August 14, 2019