Some of the biggest names in the crypto VC sector, including Andreessen Horowitz and BlockTower Capital, have supported a USD 20 million strategic financing for asset tokenizer TrustToken, developer of the TrueUSD (/TUSD) stablecoin.
According to a press release out of San Francisco Monday, TrustToken’s capital raise, which was also backed by Danhua Capital and GGV Capital, among others, will finance the development of the TrustToken platform and expansion of its legal, partnership, product, and engineering departments.
The company said that, since launching in March 2018, its market capitalization has grown to USD 49 million, with an average daily trading volume of USD 22 million.
“The support of these leading investment firms represents a significant step towards our goal to build a compliant tokenization platform for currencies, commodities, and real-world assets,” said TrustToken CEO Danny An in the statement. “We will draw on the combined expertise and network of these firms as we grow our industry partnerships and extend the reach of our first product, TrueUSD.”
TrueUSD, the company’s USD-backed stablecoin was launched in January to provide cryptocurrency traders a hedge against volatility. TrustToken says TrueUSD provides full collateral, regular auditing and legal protections to redeem tokens for USD.
“Tokenization of real-world assets will produce value much in the same way that ‘equitization’ did. We can now buy fractional ownership in a basket of commercial office buildings or commodities via equity instruments,” said Ari Paul, CIO and Managing Partner, of BlockTower, which earlier this year raised USD 140 million to expand its digital currency hedge fund. “Tokenization will further reduce friction in asset trading and ownership,” he added.
“We are thrilled to back the TrustToken team and its global ambition to tokenize assets,” said Jeff Richards, Managing Partner at GGV Capital, which has USD 3.8 billion in capital under management. “One of the most significant benefits of blockchain and cryptocurrency technology is the potential to democratize and increase global participation in financial markets. TrustToken is one of the leading platforms driving this concept forward on a worldwide basis, and doing it with trust at the core of its mission.”
- Civil Wants to Make News More Ethical - July 23, 2018
- GeTS Links ASEAN and China with Cross Border Trade Blockchain - July 20, 2018
- A SVPER Secure Instant Video Dating Network - July 20, 2018
- Change Launches Mobile App for Fee-Free Crypto Trading - July 20, 2018
- IAB Tech Lab Lifts Veil on Digital Advertising Potential - July 19, 2018
- Grid7 Gets $1 Million DOE Grant for Decentralized Energy Grid - July 19, 2018
- Seth Shapiro’s Blockchain TV Platform Wants to Improve on Netflix with “Proof of Engagement” - July 19, 2018
- Korean Fund Hashed Backs Ad Platform XCHNG - July 18, 2018
- TaTaTu is Giving Away $50 Million in Tokens - July 17, 2018
- CoinFlip Adds Dash to US Crypto ATM Network - July 17, 2018
- UK Can Become Blockchain Leader by 2022: Report - July 17, 2018
- Tezos Offers Innovation Grants for Platform Projects - July 16, 2018
- Content Protection Platform Typerium Files Patents - July 16, 2018
- 4NEW is Mining Crypto with Waste Power - July 16, 2018
- Fujitsu’s Business Analysis Service Offers Speedy Crypto Project Review - July 13, 2018
- Binance Backs Malta’s Decentralized Founders Bank - July 13, 2018
- Self-Regulation is an Option for Crypto Exchanges: AEI - July 12, 2018
- Pundi X Puts POS in Hong Kong Restaurants - July 12, 2018
- TokenPay Strikes Deal With Litecoin to Buy Stake in WEG Bank - July 12, 2018
- ConsenSys Joins Blockchain Consortium to Disrupt Mineral Trading - July 11, 2018