Soon after news of boxing legend Mike Tyson’s deal with alleged Chinese partners from Fight2Fame rocketed through cyberspace including here at Blockchain News, Tyson denied any token deal on Twitter.
I am not involved with Fight to Fame or their countdown website, nor will I be involved with anything related to Fight to Fame now or in the future. Any media reporting my current involvement isn’t accurate.
— Mike Tyson (@MikeTyson) August 14, 2019
However, there is some controversy, as Tyson did sign a term sheet and even made a promo video for Fight to Fame.
However, as reported at Modernconsensus, Tyson’s wife and manager felt they were tricked:
Lakiha Tyson also revealed that the current mishap is due to an “incautiously signed but very preliminary agreement” with Fight to Fame’s founder Shi Jianxiang, who initially offered Mike Tyson casting in a Hong Kong martial arts film.
In 2018, Shi provided the Tysons with a term sheet briefly outlining a deal between Tyson and the U.S.-China Motion Picture Association (UCMPA) and its strategic partner, MG Pictures, the companies under Shi’s management. The term sheet specified that Tyson would serve as the chair of Fight to Fame and receive a share in the project.
Lakiha Tyson approved the agreement, having amended the clause specifying that as a “partner and co-founder Tyson will cooperate fully with UCMPA,” and hand-wrote “as per agreed in writing at a later date.” She said:
“We had no idea that this was a way to launch this Tyson Token. We didn’t agree to this. I was fuming at this point.”
Cointelligence did an absolutely brilliant deep dive and published an investigative piece on the deal alleging Fight to Fame is a fraud. On Yavin, the founder of Cointelligence linked the company to Jianxiang Shi, a Chinese fugitive who is wanted in connection with a 2016 Ponzi scheme that defrauded investors of $5.8 billion according to the Wall Street Journal.
Yavin’s report included a copy of a February 12 cease-and-desist letter sent by Tyson’s attorneys, Lavely & Singer, to Shi and several associates of his Moregain Capital Group.
Ms. Tyson told Modern Consensus:
“It was a very clever and well-played con,” said Mrs. Tyson. “This is why Dr. Shi was able to con people out of $5.8 billion and is a wanted fugitive in China. This entire experience has been a huge wake-up call for me.”
EDITOR’S NOTE: I was actually approached by Fight to Fame at a Blockchain event in Santa Clara as director of Token.Agency and invited to LA to help raise funds for the project. And actually spoke to Jianxiang Shi on a Skype video call from the Netherlands. Fortunately, we did not do a deal. The investigative journalism work from On Yavin, the founder of Cointelligence is something I see rarely in this industry so Kudos to Yavin.
- Bitpay Opens Up Doors For Ethereum Payments - September 16, 2019
- Neufund Launches Blockchain-Driven Equity Token Sale for Retail Investors Out of Lichtenstein - September 16, 2019
- London Blockchain Accelerator Academy Looking for Partners - September 13, 2019
- Blockchain Startup Blockstack Raises a Whopping $23 Million In SEC-Qualified Reg A+ Token Offering - September 12, 2019
- France Vows to Block Facebook Libra Cryptocurrency in Europe - September 12, 2019
- R3 and Mastercard Team Up Mastercard to Build Overseas Payments System Build on Blockchain - September 12, 2019
- ConsenSys Officially Joins Hyperledger Project – Adding Public Blockchain Capability to Hyperledger - September 11, 2019
- Telegram Open Network Labs Releases Development Suite for TON Blockchain - September 11, 2019
- Whale Alert: USD One Billion+ BTC Was Transferred in One Transaction Last Week - September 11, 2019
- New Professional API Trading Program AlgoX Prime API Launched by eToroX - September 11, 2019
- Bitcoin.com’s Roger Ver Steps in to Operate Node on Cryptographer David Chaum’s New Elixxer Project - September 11, 2019
- Seychelles Heats Up With a First for a National Stock Exchange – MERJ Exchange Goes Live with Tokenized IPO - September 10, 2019
- Computing Legend Steve Wozniak To Launch Blockchain Energy Project – EFFORCE - September 10, 2019
- Hollywood Star Wesley Snipes To Tokenize $25 Million USD Movie Fund with Liechtenstein Blockchain Innovator LCX - September 9, 2019
- Netki Extends TransactID Solution For FATF “Travel Rule” Compliance - September 9, 2019
- Market Demand For Sophisticated Crypto Trading Methods Drives Singapore’s Broctagon Fintech Group To New Heights – Pushing Them Past $5 million - September 5, 2019
- London-based Custodian For Digital Assets, Copper, Reach $500m In Transactions In Just Three Months - September 5, 2019
- UN Meeting: Gibraltar Lawyers Call For A Global Regulatory Framework For Cryptocurrencies - September 4, 2019
- Michael Terpin’s BitAngels Investor Network Partners with Bitcoin Bay to Expand Blockchain Investment Ecosystem in Toronto, Canada - September 3, 2019
- Coinanalyst Launches Socializer – New Communication Tool - September 3, 2019
Also published on Medium.