The Indie Party, a new alternative to the traditional two-party system of US politics built around a blockchain political marketplace, has its first candidate – Jonathan Jenkins. The founder of Indie Party Co. is using the platform to run for a U.S. Senate seat from the state of Texas. The party raised USD 6.5 million to create the system at South By Southwest in March 2017, where they also maintained a pop-up headquarters to serve as a one-stop shop featuring information on their mission and core values.
Jenkins said, “The two major political parties are failing us at every level of government. The current system prioritizes maintaining power for power’s sake, with little accountability for providing solutions that improve our lives. There’s also a lack of real transparency and democratization of how campaigns are financed, which has a significant impact on how politicians govern…[promoting] extreme partisanship and [discouraging] acts of political courage and compromise.”
Using the Indie Platform, each American can create a unique Indie wallet to store Indie Tokens that can only be collected via political actions like donating to an Indie candidate or volunteering to grow the Party. Users can go on to sell their tokens to donors as a reward for their time and effort, or redeem them for tickets to fundraisers or events. All Indie Token transactions are recorded on the blockchain to provide a record of how tokens are being earned and spent.
Jenkins chose to step away from a formal role with the Indie Party when he launched his candidacy but it is intended to kick-start interest in the project and its mission of democratizing the election process ,and allowing citizens of any ideology to run for office on their own terms.
“It’s designed to attract people who want to enter into public service and are willing to form coalitions across the ideological spectrum with the aim of actually getting something accomplished,” Jenkins said. “The Indie Party is speaking with candidates across the country and encouraging them to engage in and take back their democracy.”
Jenkins, a former tech entrepreneur, is in for a tough battle, facing high profile Republican Senator Ted Cruz and Democratic up-and-coming challenger Beto O’Rourke. But he believes another contender in the ring will give voters the choice and political impact they deserve.
“The Senate race in Texas is the most high-profile campaign in the 2018 midterms,” Jenkins said. “The current narrative of the race pits a conventional liberal vs. a doctrinaire conservative with the fundamental question being: ‘Can a Democrat win in Texas?’ This is precisely what’s wrong with politics. If Texas voters were given a viable third option, that candidate would peel away support from both the Democratic and Republican candidates. Voters are frustrated and angry. And Texans certainly want a fighter in the Senate. But they expect that Senator to be fighting for them, not for the D.C. political class.”
- FED Chairman Offers Lukewarm Response On Impact, Utility Of Existing Cryptocurrencies - July 20, 2018
- Boeing Brings In SparkCognition For Help Developing UAV Management Systems - July 19, 2018
- Nervos Network Nets Nearly $30 Million To Build Hybrid Blockchain Platform For Enterprise - July 19, 2018
- Chinese Blockchain Companies Continue To Flourish, If Only In Name - July 18, 2018
- G20 Report Outlines International Collaboration On Standards For Crypto-Assets - July 17, 2018
- Hong Kong Readies Regulator-Backed Trade Finance Platform - July 17, 2018
- RMB to BTC Trading Falls To 1%. Is China Really Out Of The Crypto Game? - July 16, 2018
- Chinese Internet Trends May Spell Trouble For “Disruptive” Crypto Payments - July 13, 2018
- LINE Plans July Cryptocurrency Exchange Launch - July 3, 2018
- McAfee Labs Report 6x Increase in Crypto Mining Malware Incidents in Q1 2018 - June 29, 2018
- Facebook Updates Policy To Allow Vetted Crypto Businesses to Advertise, ICOs Still Banned - June 27, 2018
- Following in Vitalik’s Footsteps? Polkadot’s Habermeier Awarded Thiel Fellowship - June 26, 2018
- SingularityNET and Project Shivom Using AI on Genomic Data to Extend Human Life - June 26, 2018
- Microsoft & EY partner for Royalty Distribution in Gaming - June 26, 2018
- ABBC Foundation to Airdrop ABBC Tokens to First 500,000 Wallet Users - June 25, 2018
- Care Records of up to 30 Million UK NHS Patients go on Blockchain - June 25, 2018
- PundiX Signs UTRUST as Liquidity Clearing Provider for Crypto POS Hardware - June 22, 2018
- Blockchain on the Ballot: Indie Party Candidate Joins Texas Senate Race - June 21, 2018
- IONChain Aims to Challenge IOTA on a Chinese Battleground - June 19, 2018
- Takeaways From SEC Director’s Comments on Cryptocurrencies and Securities - June 19, 2018